More problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » More problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - 05:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After checking the oil level on my Bentley T1 SBH 17291 I needed to top up when I opened up the oil filler I noticed some evidence of water,yet on the dipstick no signs,also no white smoke from the exhaust,also no evidence of overheating. What I did notice is a loss of coolant in the radiator,so have I got a blown head gasket.The engine is purring along very nicely a little hard to start when cold but the choke fixes that (I have it manually controlled).If it is a blown gasket I am not looking forward to stripping the engine down.
Barry

(Message edited by Turney 2009 on 17 October 2010)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - 06:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry, don't panic just yet.

How many times has the oil been changed in the past 5 years or so? And was it done with the oil hot?

Is the flame trap in the engine breather clear?

It would be hard (or near impossible) to start without any choke.

(Message edited by paul_yorke on 17 October 2010)

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - 06:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
Not the same as Barry but similar. I have noticed a slight oil film on the surface of the coolant in the header tank. There is no evidence of water contamination in the engine oil filler or on the dipstick. The engine oil and filter were renewed (with 20W50 oil) 2000 miles ago. The engine starts and runs fine with no discernible exhaust smoke. Fuel consumption is around 15 mpg. The oil consumption though is very high having consumed five pints of 20w50 in the last 1600 miles. Could a lack of or lower than normal crankcase vacuum cause this? I ask because the thread in the oil filler housing has been stripped so the crankcase breather does not screw in properly to make an air tight fit so I am fairly sure the breather is leaking and not allowing full crankcase vacuum to build up. I have just purchased a replacement oil filler neck with an undamaged thread so this will be fitted shortly. I have also read on this forum that changing the valve stem oil seals sometimes cures excessive oil consumption. I would welcome any thoughts from the forum members.
Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Chris

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - 09:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,Oil has only been changed once in 5 years soon after I bought the car 12 months ago.The flame trap has not been touched,the evidence of water was only near the top of the oil filler and the film of oil had turned milky.With the engine running and the radiator cap off there were no bubbles.I have only topped the water twice in 1200 miles.Car is using about 1 pint every 600 miles not over excessive considering its age 36 years.
Barry

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, 20 October, 2010 - 08:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,I cleaned out the flame trap you should have seen the gunk,my question is why would the flame have anything to do wth my problem as it deals with crankcase pressure.Also I have ordered a new thermostat I beleive it may be part of my problem as it is still losing coolant.The evidence of water in the oil filler seems to have gone away so only god knows what happened there.

Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, 20 October, 2010 - 08:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"why would the flame have anything to do wth my problem as it deals with crankcase pressure"

Because all the condensation from the engine should be drawn into the breather and sucked out through the carburettors.

By having old wet oil in the engine and a blocked breather you have in effect a closed still.

The oil warms and boils off the water - which rises to the highest point (filler cap) and cools and condenses there. It then runs back down the filler into the oil - ad infinitum. Over time more moisture is added to the existing and you end up with lots of sludge in the bottom of the sump.

Running the engine to anything less than hot allows that condensation to settle on and cooler parts of the engine - forming rust and sludge there as well.

I find it Strange that people won't change their oil every year. So cheap and simple! Such an expensive engine :-(

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, 21 October, 2010 - 05:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul youre a great help,the previous owners let the car deteriate which as you are probably thinking is very sad.Regular servicing is the key to longevity and that can apply to us too!!!.

Barry

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, 16 November, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All EUREKA!!!! it seems all is well once more.A new thermostat fixed the overheating problems,with thanks to Bill Coburn.A new water pump and seal fixed the coolant loss problem also new bottom hose and finally a new electronic fuel pump (thanks Bob Chapman)and a carb overhaul fixed the fuel and erratic running problem.Took a bit of time to sort out but finally got there just a small problem a minor drip from connections on the new fuel pump and were home and hosed.Thanks to this forum and all those who take part.

Regards Barry Bentley T1 SBH 17291