Shadow 1 brake warning lights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 1 brake warning lights « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2010 - 04:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My brake pressure warning lights com on when the ignition is switched on if the car has stood for several days,but go out immediately the car is started.This weekend I had to depresurise the system to change a self levelling hose with a carbuncal (the hose was new 18 months ago when all hoses were routinely replaced).Despite pumping 70 + pushes on the brakes neither of the warning lights came on. Depressurised the self levelling by opening the bleed valves.I assume I have pressure switch problems,can anyone advise me.Are rebuild kits or exchange switches available
Thanks Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2010 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did the warning lights come on after you depressurised the HCV systems (no 2 light) ?

Try pumping for double that and see what happens.

Try bleeding the accumulators to depletion and see if they light.

It's a worry that the hose has bulged so quickly!

It is possible to strip and clean the switches or exchange ones are available.

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2010 - 08:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,thanks for the reply.Yes no.2 did come on after depressurising the HCV systems. I will check the brake pedal count again and also check by bleeding down the accumulators next weekend.
Mark

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2010 - 04:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark/ Co-incidentally I have just finished a scribble in Topics on this very subject. Would you like me to send it to you?

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2010 - 07:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark.
I had a problem with one of my brake pressure circuits recently. The number two light was coming on after only three or four strokes of the brake pedal with the engine off. The number one light did not seem to come on at all. I persevered with pumping the pedal and the number one light eventually came on after 130 pumps. I checked them again and number one came on again at about 130 pumps. I deduced from this that the number one system was perfect and number two was virtually none existent! I did some tests with a 3000psi gauge to confirm that the number two accumulator had lost all its gas pressure. I have just fitted an exchange accumulator and valve body to number two and am pleased to report that the brake pedal test now yields 120 and 125 pumps respectively before the warning lights come on so I think that's as good as it gets!
Kind regards,
Chris

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2010 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,yes I would appreciate your article,when it comes to Crewe cars you can never have too much informationand other peoples experience.My email is mark@mark-aldridge.co.uk .
Chris,I will keep pumping the pedal and see if the lights will come on. Otherwise a switch overhaul looks likely.
Mark

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2010 - 05:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since we are on this subject,I have have just fitted exchange accumulators to My T1 SBH17291and I have some issues.After a run I can get 70 pumps before No 2 light comes on if I don't do the test and leave the car say for 30 minutes the No 2 light will come on after 4 pumps.Can anyone shed any light on this.

Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2010 - 07:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Garry,

it may be a leak back through the system (brake or suspension) or the accumulator valve may be leaking back slightly.

You can either

remove the stainless braided flexi hose from the accumulator and fit a bled nipple instead,run the car for 5 mins, then leave the car for 60 mins or so and see if the light comes on. If it doesn't, you can bleed the accumulator and see how much fluid you get out.

or

Run the engine for 5 mins. Turn off. Clamp and remove the return hose from the accumulator. Put some spare hose on the accumulator and into a bottle. Wait 30 mins and see how much fluid has entered the bottle.

You could do both tests at the same time if you want to save time.

Chris Browne
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 06 October, 2010 - 01:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark.
Health and Safety warning! If you do the "pump" test too often, you will have a right leg like a weightlifter and the left one will wither away. You have been warned!
Kind regards,
Chris

(Message edited by Chrisb on 06 October 2010)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Wednesday, 06 October, 2010 - 09:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris/ How very observant. Actually I have noticed quite a few owners with this problem in their right arm!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, 06 October, 2010 - 05:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes , they do seem like a drink or two 0:-)

Chris Browne
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 06 October, 2010 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I don't know what you are implying! I thought it was mainly BMW drivers which suffered from that affliction, especially on the motorways in the UK.

Kind regards,

Chris