SWII Electrical Problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SWII Electrical Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.219.241.167
Posted on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have two electrical problems that have me stumped even though I have an MSEE:
1. When using the AC or heater, the fan motor stays on after the ignition switch is turned off unless I turn the AC/heater function switch to OFF also.
The schematic shows that the function switch gets its power ONLY from the ignition switch so what is happening is an impossibility. Any good ideas?
2. With everything off, there is a 6amp drain on the battery. This used to be intermittent, but now is steady. My mechanic who is no electricion, measured the drain with a voltmeter and told me the problem is a). not a problem, b). the alternator is over - charging, c). I have a bad regulator and d). I have a walmart battery which is a bad brand and should switch to the brand he sells; International. All of which is arrant nonsense of course, but I bought a new battery from him anyway.
QUESTIONS: Where is the regulator physically? I have been unable to find it, and does anyone have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
I have finally bought a 0-10 amp meter (which I used to measure the drain current.
Thanks in advance
Ralph Brooks
Desparate in the Mojave desert.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 08:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The regulator is in the boot next to the battery terminals.

Robert Chapman
Prolific User
Username: shadow

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ralph,
I have just phoned the RR auto-elec I use about your problem,he says this is very unusual,but suggests you start with the fuse box,
1) make sure all fuses are in correct positions and that a fuse has not been jammed in between two fuse holders.
2)check A/C fuse,remove with ignition off and make sure that turns it off.
3)work backwards from A/C fuse holder and trace source of power.
4)check relays in right hand corner of engine bay next to air ducting.
5)He said the 6amp draw is a clue,trace what is still on.
6)Richard is quite right the regulator is next to the battery. GOOD LUCK

Pat Lockyer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.131.123.183
Posted on Wednesday, 31 March, 2004 - 05:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In few words POSS Diode or Relay fault do the fans restart after ign off and fan switch off then on by using fan switch.
Have not a wiring diagram on SS2 Here at present to confirm,but have had faults on SS2 like this before.