Silver Shadow 2 mascot alarm Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow 2 mascot alarm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 - 07:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone.
My car, a 1979 Shadow 2, was specified with a mascot alarm from new. The alarm has not worked since I have owned the car and as I have just replaced the grille surround, I took the opportunity to have a ferret round to see if I could make it work. There is a simple plunger bolted beneath the mascot which the spring loaded mascot shaft sits on so when it is at rest, the shaft just presses the plunger down slightly breaking the circuit. As soon as the mascot is moved, the plunger moves up and completes the circuit but - the horns don't sound. I can hear a relay click when the circuit is made so the switch is live. I have scoured the workshop manuals for a wiring diagram but to no avail. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know how the switch is connected to the horns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the wire is shown disconnected in the photo.
Kind regards,
Chris

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

They were kind of a non standard extra.

They often had a courtesy light delay unit in circuit to make it run for 12 seconds.

I think you may have to follow the clicking noise to find the relay location.

If the mascot gets removed for any reason, the wire is usually taken off the relay to stop the horn sounding. I'd look for disconnected wires at the relay etc. first, if not the link between the relay and the horns.

They were not the best circuit with that switch exposed to the elements in that way. Later cars had IP55 type switches fitted.

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2010 - 03:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul,
Thanks for your reply. There seem to be two relays which click simultaneously when the circuit is interrupted and both the relays are fitted onto a bracket bolted to the back of the off side front spring pot. You are right in that there is a courtesy light unit sandwiched between the two relays (see attached photo). There seems to be an awful lot of wires to deal with a relatively simple alarm system!
Kind regards,
Chris