Garage and hold Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Garage and hold « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Serge PONTES
New User
Username: serrgio

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 17 March, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everibody,
As I just drive my car each week in summer and only each 2 or 3 weeks in winter (because off bad weather), I'm thinking to elevete the car a little to ease tyres and suspension. Can someone tell me where I have to locate the holds under the car and send a picture or a schemas please ? in this case, use "louisvii@voila.fr"
thanks !
serrgio

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, 17 March, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi SeRRgio,

As others may also be interested in the answer to your request; I have attached the relevant information from the Shadow I workshop manual. Due to file size limitations; I have to include each page as a separate attachment - if you have access to a full version of Adobe Acrobat; it is a straight-forward procedure to recombine the pages.

As your storage period is relatively short; it is not necessary to place the car on blocks and increasing the tyre pressure will suffice. Only real problem when returning the car to the road will be flat spots on the tyres which will cause considerable vibration until the tyres warm up and resume their normal profile.

application/pdfstorage 1
Storage 1.pdf (69.2 k)

application/pdfstorage 2
Storage 21.pdf (46.1 k)

application/pdfstorage 3
Storage 3.pdf (14.1 k)

Serge PONTES
Experienced User
Username: serrgio

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 08:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
many thanks for all this. I thought that if it doesn't seems necessary to place supports under the car, it will be good because in the fact, for suspension and tyres, principaly in winter, that mean that quiet all the time, they will be eased...
thanks again for yours advoices
by
seRRgio

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2004 - 03:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Serge,

Relieving the springs of weight is a bad idea as it will damage the suspension rubber bushes over time. The bushes would be permanently stretched for as long as the springs are not at normal standing height and will fail early. Lifting the suspension close to the wheels to take the weight off the tyres (so you can just see light under the tyre tread) is a good thing though, provided the spring to chassis measurement is maintained. It makes sure that the tyres are round and do not rot underneath from any oil etc on the driveway.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.33.11
Posted on Sunday, 21 March, 2004 - 05:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To stop flat spots on tyres pump them to 50 psi.

this also helps if the tyres already have flat spots.

It is OK to move the car at slow speeds at 50 psi.

The bushes in the suspension are fitted so that when the car is sitting at the correct ride height the bushes are not in torsion.

If the car is left for any length of time with the wheels dangling the bushes will be in torsion and can take a set to the new position causing torsion again when the car is recommissioned.

All this toing and froing causes the bushes to fail early.

Best thing is to roll the car around so that the wheel bearings get moved as well. The 50 psi helps to make the car easier to push.

Conventional wisdom says that to store the car must be polished to keep the paint in good condition.

An alternative is to coat the paint and chrome in wax oil which is removed with panel wipe ( white spirit ) when the car is commissioned. Depends how long the storage is.

Worth taping bubble wrap down the flanks and duct taping the faces of overiders.

I use dubbin to keep leather nice. Leave it on and polish when re-commissioning

because of damp in the UK anthing that absorbs moisture is handy for the inside. Newsprint works OK but never place on seats because the ink can leach onto the leather.

storing a Shadow for 3 months should cause no problem. But when it comes to a year or so then you are likely to have problems.

Batteries like to have something to do and dislike being stored even when fully charged. discharged batteries are even worse.

Best thing to do is to discharge the battery a bit and recharge on a regular basis.