Silver Shadow Crosland 444 Fuel Filte... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow Crosland 444 Fuel Filter Element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2010 - 01:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, seems this item, a simple fuel filter element, is made of the dreaded unobtanium. I understand they are common in Britain, about L5; $138 US is steep indeed. Introcar is about L17 plus post I suppose. Is anyone in England reading this, who will send some filters to the US?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,

Often send parts to the US - How often depends on the exchange rate though – pretty good for you at the moment I think? :-)

PM me if you like.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2010 - 08:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have 444's for AUD20 but they are only packed in cardbord boxes not solid fiddleback blackwood casks!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill - I was thinking they must get their own seat on their flight to him!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy, Did you try Albers?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wix Filters 495-33051
Summit Racing in the USA sells them for $5.99 as the Wix Filters 495-33051. I have had great service from Summit over the years. http://www.summitracing.com/

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 04:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or go direct to:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIX-33051/

and omail order them online.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To be clear, the Crosland 444 fuel filter (Sogefi-Crosland is the filter division of Sogefi) cross-references to the Wix 33051 (WIX Filters 495-33051).

It is used extensively throughout the world, and especially in the USA on GM and Chrysler passenger cars of the 1970s and 1980s.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, thanks for the information; Wix filters are common in my area stores, and I have bought from Summit Racing before so I know you are correct about them. This is the Secret the World has been keeping from me, which, once known, would change my life profoundly and for evermore. You are truly a Jewel in the Crown of the Commonwealth for spilling the beans.
So is Bill Coburn, by the way.
A vendor known as Boiler Spares in the UK (discountedspares.co.uk) offers the Crosland 444 on-line for about 5 to 7 Pounds, but will not ship to the US. I shall now proceed to overcome this minor impediment to complete fuel filtration.

Bill Payne
Frequent User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In case anyone has questions about WIX products, WIX has a plant in Gastonia, NC which I serviced for about 20 years. Thought it was neat seeing pallets of Volvo and other manufacturer's and large distribution companies (NAPA) oil filters, etc. being loaded on trucks.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, 04 June, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those paying attention will have realized by now that my elation was to be short-lived: the Wix filter 33051 is the small carb inlet filter. The Crosland 444 is the large element in the filter at the rear of car, just downstream of the fuel tank.
However, I'll allow Richard to keep the honors and accouterments I bestowed upon him earlier this week as they are already earned.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Saturday, 05 June, 2010 - 02:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy/ Thanks for the WIK filter number for the baby things I'll try and get some.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2010 - 01:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let me know if I can send some. They are about $3.55 US with tax here at a typical parts store. I bought two at Albers and they were not much more there.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy thanks I will if I draw a blank here!

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 07 June, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update on the Crosland 444 element: I have the attention of a lady at a UK supplier, who offer the filter element to the home market for 5.90 pounds, including VAT (17.5%!). They wanted 30 pounds shipping, but I asked about Royal Mail (surface) for a lower cost, so she is checking.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2010 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

I'd guess Royal Mail "small packet" airmail would be about a fiver. No VAT on exports to the USA. I wouldn't bother with surface mail.