Mystery Wood Block Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Mystery Wood Block « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
New User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 23 May, 2010 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I realize that this is technical in the least possible sense of the word, but it's one of those things I've wondered about for about 4 years and finally got around to taking a photo.

In the trunk/boot of my car I found this wood block:

Photograph of Mystery Wood Block

Beneath the battery enclosure are two small, rectangular pieces of wood, about 6 inches long, that act as supports for the enclosure. They have precisely the same paint as on this one.

I have never been able to determine the logical location or purpose of this one. Might anyone know?

Thanks,
Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, 23 May, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think there should be two. One either end of the battery. I think the chamfered edge should marry up with the lip that sticks out at the bottom of the battery(for clamping the battery down on other makes of car) or against the rounded corner of the enclosure.

( I Think )

(Message edited by paul_yorke on 23 May 2010)

Brian Vogel
New User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 24 May, 2010 - 01:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I believe you are correct. If you look at Chapter K16 http://rrtechnical.info/SY/spare/6580_4/IMAGES/k/K16.pdf in the parts manual it looks like the two of these are placed one at each end of the bottom of the box. What's interesting to me is that the smaller pieces that support the bottom of the box and that the battery rides on are noted as separate part numbers while these blocks are not.

Brian