What's the bolt on the distributor sh... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » What's the bolt on the distributor shalf for? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Jones
Yet to post message
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2007 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help this very novice "custodian" of a Cloud I. What does the bolt I'm pointing to in the following photo do? It appears to tighten against the distributor shalf and increase the resistance to it turning, but why would you want to do this? Should I tighten it or leave it loose?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff
Distributor shaft

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2007 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jeff
Thank to Bill Coburn and several others there is now a great deal of information available on 'the web'.
The bolt you point to is a retaining bolt for the distributor, it allows the distributor to be rotated (adjusted) without being ejected from the Block.
It can be clearly seen on page A6 of the Silver Cloud Parts List (Part No 19).It should be tight (but not overtightened).
Trust that helps.
Regards
David Hughes

Jeff Jones
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2007 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your help David.

Just to clarify- I have adjusted the ignition timing recently, and to do this a loosened the clamping screw just above the bolt in question to rotate the distributor body (but didn't loosen or tighten the bolt). So does the bolt provide extra retention for the distributor body (to prevent it rotating and putting the timing out) in addition to the clasping screw?

I've discovered the service manuals etc on this website- a huge thanks to those who provide such an excellent resource. Is the Silver Cloud Parts List able to be downloaded anywhere?

Regards,
Jeff

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2007 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
The bolt you point to fits into a circular groove in the distributor body, allowing the distributor to be adjusted with the engine running, if the bolt wasn't there the distributor could be ejected from the engine by the action of the distributor driving gear.
As for the parts list - I obtained a copy from the NSW Branch of the RROC - there is also now available for loan an excellent DVD entitled RR and Bentley Techical Information Suite for Silver Cloud and S Type.
Regards
David Hughes

Jeff Jones
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2007 - 11:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again David- all makes perfect sense now! Best I go and tighten it up...

I'm in Wellington, so I'll see if the NZRRBC has got a copy of the parts list.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Jeff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: