We are road legal! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » We are road legal! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, 21 June, 2024 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the 1st time in 20 years the car can be driven along New Zealand roads without fear of being harassed by the authorities.

Thank you all for your help, I am elated!

What I like about this car is that, according to the petrol gauge, it always has a full tank of petrol - even when it doesn't.

That might be my next job, after working out how to secure the battery in place. Might anyone have any photos of how the battery is secured...

Daniel

1957 Cloud

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2024 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a day, congratulations! You have to be happy with that and it's not raining also.

You better put that aerial on the jobs list....but meh. How does the old girl go?

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2024 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well spotted! The aerial does stay up, though it has nothing but disdain for the entrance to the garage when moving in and out...

With the re-conditioned carbs and the exhaust leak fixed the car is driving surprisingly well. The gearbox can be a bit clunky in stop-go traffic, but perhaps that is sign that some maintenance is required here too...

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2024 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel

Well done - "Percy Veerance" has another success.

In regard to the battery holding system

http://www.rrtechnical.info/sc/sc1/spares/12.pdf

In the parts list under electrical, page L1 shows the battery arrangement with the bracket and the clamping rods.

Trust this helps.

Regards
David

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, 25 June, 2024 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David = I do not have these parts to secure the battery - I might need to bastardize parts off another make of car and make do :-)

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, 26 June, 2024 - 00:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With a modern battery,I found the original clamp ineffective. I redrilled the frame on the car so that the hold down rods are opposite each other midway along the battery, with a 2inch wide piece of steel between them to clamp the battery.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, 26 June, 2024 - 11:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel.
If you (or a friend) have access to a welding machine, a couple of pieces of 12 mm angle iron from the local hardware, could make up a very presentable clamp.
There is a company in the UK (via ebay) making the clamps, however, they are not cheap posted to NZ.
Regards
David

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, 26 June, 2024 - 14:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark and David, this is great advice, I do have a friend who is handy with a welder, and we can easily reposition the hold down rods...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: