Exhaust manifold studs thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Exhaust manifold studs thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2024 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What thread is the exhaust manifold to block stud thread. I have a new manifold to replace mine which has cracked and it seems that I will have to slit the nuts to remove them. I will then have to run a die nut up the threads. To access the nuts it appears I will have to cut the manifold up in situ.The nuts do not wish to turn !
Thanks

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2024 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you tried putting diesel on the nuts, or studs into the block. Let it sit for a day, then try and turn with a well fitting socket. If no movement re apply diesel, wait another day. Repeat until success.

I now it sounds dumb, but it can tae up to a couple weeks.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2024 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oxy/Acetylene torch always works.
Heat one nut a time until it just starts to turn orange, try to move it at this point.

If it wants to budge, even a little, don't keep reefing on it, let cool completely with your favourite penetrating oil.
Once it's completely cooled, it should come right off.
Repeat as necessary.
I use lots of layers of aluminum foil to protect surrounding areas with the torch.

The car should be standard SAE, to answer your question, so 1/4 inch is either 20 or 28 tpi. for course and fine.
And 5/16 is 18 or 24 tpi.
Probably fine thread.
It will be either 1/4 or 5/16 inches.

Use stainless nuts, not brass.
I find brass nuts swell too much under manifold heat, and I have to be constantly snugging them up when things cool down.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 3.8.155.170
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2024 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are UNF threads.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2024 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I will try heating and soaking with atf/acetone mix and diesel and see if they will turn. Would certainly be better than slitting the nuts. I have UNF die nuts to clean up the threads and will fit new nuts.

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2024 - 16:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, at it would have it I was looking for some suspension bolts today and found these. If you can make sense of the note well done. They are definitely fine thread both ends. Think others have covered it but will report back tomorrow with what sized threads they are.

exhaust manifold studs for 4.9
Long is 68mm
Med is 59mm
Short is 51.5mm

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2024 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When exhaust manifold nuts are tightened beyond the suggested torque, they inhibit the expansion of the cast iron. Once this happens the cast iron cannot expand and often results in cracks. Exhaust manifolds usually have elongated holes and torqued to a low figure. A heavy hand is not in not needed.
A micro torch will eventually break the bond with ATF/acetone mix. Give it time and constantly check.

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2024 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

studs are 5/16, 24 thread, UNF

NormanGeeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.98.117.162
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2024 - 00:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason

Now all you need are the correct bronze nuts to fit.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: