Jump Start 56 Bentley-Permissible? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Jump Start 56 Bentley-Permissible? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Payne
New User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2023 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

56 Bentley. 11 PM - Battery died, jump started using cables. Car idled fine for several minutes. Pulled away, did not seem to have power, died again.

2nd jump start, accelerated without issues, but no lighting, interior or exterior. Died a 3rd time.

Nothing at all when the key is engaged.

Did I err by jump starting?

Suggestions/Questions?

Where would I find Electrical diagrams/fuses/etc in the shop manual? I've discovered a Section heading may not be relevant to what I'm searching for.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2023 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My guess, based upon your description, is you have a very nearly dead battery and a very nearly dead generator, too.

First try, there was a tiny bit of battery left and it died when that was exhausted.

Get your generator checked. Then, after that's been diagnosed/fixed, replace your battery.

Brian

P.S.: Any car of this age should have zero issues with being jump started provided the proper polarity for the battery is observed. I can't recall whether positive ground was still in use in 1956 or not.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2023 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill
Please find wiring diagram link

https://rrtechnical.info/sc/sc1/wshop/s1wh.pdf

Regards
David

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2023 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://rrtechnical.info/sc/sc1/wshop/s1wh.pdf

Jeff - thanks for posting the usable link.
David

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2023 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, can you check the battery voltage, nothing switched on , assuming you have not charged it and then again with the headlights on. Could be a dead cell.

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2023 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If its an old battery I'd start there and work backwards. I pulled out my generator a month-or-two back, and it was not easy getting to all the bolts. But the armature was in good condition, as were the brushes and bearings, and a general clean and service was all that was required.

Can I ask if the wiring diagram is appropriate for a 1957 Cloud?

Daniel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: