56 Bentley S1 Instruments Speedomete... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 56 Bentley S1 Instruments Speedometer/Odometer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Payne
New User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2023 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speedometer works with some noise & a smidgen of jumping.

Odometer does not (do not know how long it's not worked).

Picture enclosed don't know what is supposed to screw onto the fitting as I see no cable or likely culprit in the area.

Can I disassemble the head by removing the 4 small slotted screws visible in the picture?

Thanks for any input.

Speedometer Head (Rear)

Daniel Shepherd
Experienced User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2023 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are the bulbs earthed? Could potentially be an earth strap. Or does if have a trip-meter? The parts manual suggests it does - could be the reset for that. Sorry, our Cloud is in the mechanics and I can't check...

Bill Payne
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2023 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the response.

The major concern is trying to get the odometer working again.

It does have a trip-meter & given the location, I'm assuming that is the missing cable. I hate half-assed mechanics as it was obviously removed by 1 & never replaced.

The bulbs have been checked with an ohmmeter & are good, but don't know why they wouldn't ground to the housing. 2 of 5 work.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2023 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
welcome to the Forum.
I have never personally dismantled one of these instruments so afraid not able to offer good advice.
I see you are in U.S.A, the American Forum has some really great contributors that may be of assistance to you.
Regards
David

Bill Payne
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2023 - 16:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David.

My initial experience with the US forum led me to believe I'm an idiot for even thinking of a question, much less posting it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: