Fuel Pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Fuel Pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Benyon
New User
Username: endbuttlane

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the best alternative fuel pump for my Cloud

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 22:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It would help to know what Cloud you have...

Facet comes to mind, as long as what ever you get, the pressure is around 2 to 3 psi.

What's wrong with what you have, they are rebuildable with new electronic parts if you want ?

The weak point of you pump right now is the condenser in there, it wears out and the points are burned, but they do go for decades before they fail.
I think Burlen replaces the condenser with a Diode or Varistor which would also make you pump work on a Negative or Positive ground car.

I have no idea the reliability of the Facet pumps, some people swear by them, personally I would rebuild the SU pumps and get another 60 years out of them.
I never liked some of this new electronic stuff hailed to be the second coming.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, 07 June, 2022 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used Facet cube pumps on small engines and Red top pumps on RR ,Bentley and Jaguars. Ihave had one failure at about 12 years old ( stopped pumping and overheated ). With Su's , I have had 7 failures ( 3 leaked, 2 burnt out,2 points failure). I have also had 2 QH electric pumps fail. My advice, keep a spare in the toolbag. I use pressure regulators with the Facet pumps.
You" pays your money and takes your chance" ! I currentley have Facet Red tops on my 1956 S1 and my 1975 Shadow.
Mark

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2022 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hear all sorts of failure stories about SU pumps, I'll have to ask, what have you been doing to it to cause the failure and how old was it with out being serviced.

My Dad had a P5 Rover that we drove into the dirt, it had one pump failure and that was my Dad's fault of putting someone's rejected fuel in it that was full of lint.
He had another one around and that was still in the car when he sold it some guy for 50 bucks because the trans was slipping badly.

We had a Mini for many years, that pump worked through the number of years we had that car.

When I got my Bentley, it had this crumby electric pump that put out too much pressure, I took the original Rover pump that was full of lint, cleaned that out, filed the points and that is still in the Bentley more then 20 years later.

So if a person has any pumps that are prone to failure from over heating, I would say that you have another problem, check your 12v and ground connections and for clogged fuel filters, anything that will make the pump work harder then it has too.
Replace the condenser if it's an SU pump.

Yeah, OK, I'm a Smart-Ass, but these posts about the failure of SU pumps makes very little sense to me.

Daniel Shepherd
New User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2022 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a P5 3L and a P4 95 back in the nineties. Both had dual SU pumps on them, with a switch on the dash to move between main tank and "reserve tank". These were the original pumps and I recall having to clean the contacts on the P5 at one point. Not bad for 35 year old cars! Later I had a P5B with an SU AED. That was another story altogether...

But Jeff is right, checking the presence and condition of the fuel filters is a must.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2022 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, 3 of the failures were diaphragm failures , leaking in the case of our V12 jag, 10 gallons of fuel into the boot overnight. The one on my Midget just leaked on to the floor. This was at the time unleaded fuel was coming into regular use in the UK. The 2 burnt out were 6 volt units in our Morris 8, in both cases the windings failed. The points failures were on my S1 and my Shadow. Both of those also smelled of fuel but no visible leak.Ther were no blocked filters and at service they appeared OK. We service our cars 6 monthly with oil changes at 3000 miles if sooner. By using Facet pumps and regulators we have achieved fuel savings also although be they small.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: