Series 1 Thermostat Removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Series 1 Thermostat Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Shepherd
New User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2022 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After some great advice I finally got the thermostat out, albeit with some improvisation. I soaked for a couple of weeks in ATF and no joy. So, as per the picture, I put the 3BA bolts in and borrowed a buddy's engine hoist. It took a few hits with a drift but out it popped - no expensive tool needed :-)

Cloud 1 Thermostat Removal

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Straight ATF or 50/50 ATF & acetone?

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Consider a new thermostat, Introcar is having a sale on them.
I run the hotter one in my car.

Nice to see the project coming along.

https://www.introcar.com/thermostat-78-c-rh9143

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks both,

Just straight ATF - I think it did help in the end but as you can see from the thermostat it looks like the previous owner was skimping out the anti-freeze.

Not sure if this one is worth cleaning up and testing - I think a replacement might be for the best! Car was running cold - hence wanting to remove it - hopefully get the belts off this weekend and I'll give the water pump some scrutiny...

Cloud 1 Thermostat

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's so much debris in-between the bellows, it's keeping it from fully closing, the reason why it's running cool.
Once cleaned up, it should be OK, but do you want to go to all that work ?

If it were mine I would soak it in some hydrochloric acid over night, it would come out very bright.

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, soaked it in a local CRC product, hasn't made much of an impact! So I think we'll be contacting Introcar in the next few days to get a housing, thermostat, and gasket...
Dipped Cloud 1 thermostat

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you don't want to use Muriatic acid, then use vinegar on the stove at a simmer.
Keep it almost covered.
It's made of brass copper and solder, the Muriatic won't hurt it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: