S1 dash removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 dash removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 08 November, 2021 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings all. I have now had my door cappings re-varnished and I'm very pleased with them.
BUT: now they are showing-up the dash woodwork, so that is next for refurbishment.

I have removed the top rail, windscreen trim and the picnic table. The glove box is out and the R/H cubby box loose.

All was sweetness and light until I started trying to remove the main dash panel. I can get to all the fixings (I hope) once I have removed the handbrake to drop the cubby box.

Now the Crewe sting in the tail (there's always one): Welded brackets for the top rail prevent the dash from moving upwards to clear the gear change rod. I' hoping, fervently, that I do not need to dismantle the steering column to get the dash out. Any advice from someone who has done this before would be most appreciated! I'm away from home/the car for a few days and fretting about this problem.

Thanks, Bill

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.63.168
Posted on Tuesday, 09 November, 2021 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The only way is to unbolt the steering box, and drop the column from its bracket.

The body was usually dropped on with the dash brackets already fixed, if not the complete dash.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Heath
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 10 November, 2021 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Christopher, even if you are confirming my worst fears!

I now have the dash panel loose and the top column bracket off. (three days of fiddling with tiny screws, using a torch and mirror) Now I need to get under the car to loosen the steering box bolts. I;d rather like to avoid removing the big firewall panel if possible though.
I never would have tackled this job, had I known I would be taking half the car apart - we live and learn! I hve no idea how I can ever get some of those hidden screws and bolts back in place - a tale for another time!

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, 10 November, 2021 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you can get access with a camera take photos as each screw is removed as it may help when refitting in reverse order.

Bill Heath
New User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have the steering box mounting screws loose, but it is now clear that the box is trapped between two flanges and will only come loose rearwards. (Power steering)

If I'm going to have to pull the column into the car, might it be easier to disconnect the column from the box via the four nuts and rubber washers? (and replace the rubber bush at the same time) Has anyone replaced that steering bush? If so, what do I have to look out for?

My lovely S1 is beginning to look like a pile of spare parts!

Nathan Dixon
New User
Username: dicko1009

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didnt have to touch my steering column when i removed the facia from the dash. After removing all of the top rail and then the nuts holding the facia, i was able to lift the facia out up the steering column until it was free from the brackets. Maybe you could post some pics

Bill Heath
New User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Nathan! Dash is now out, without disturbing the column; I only wish I knew how I did it!

I must now retract all the curses and expletives I had directed at 50s Crewe technicians.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, 13 November, 2021 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't worry, you can put it in a jar and save it for later, you'll need it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: