1963 Cloud Spotlight? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 1963 Cloud Spotlight? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2021 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had service done on my Bentley today at Bentley High Point (NC). They have a 63 Cloud III for sale in their showroom. It is in absolutely MINT condition!

It had what appears as a "spotlight" on the left side (pic). I have never seen this. Was this an option?

BTW, the car was owned for 28 years by the same owner.

Priced at $149,000!

Richard

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2021 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These movable spot lights were often installed on vehicles used as hire cars, taxis etc for the driver to find house/building numbers at night.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2021 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This was never am option from RR as far as I know.
It looks like am after market add on and spoils the look of the car.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2021 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

Usually an after-sale addition possibly with the exception of vehicles destined for emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance.

I suspect it is likely some R-R vehicles from the R-R Springfield plant in the USA may have been fitted with these by coachbuilders in the 1920's at the purchaser's request.

My US long-time family friend owned and restored a 1948 V12 Lincoln Continental which he kept until he downsized his vehicle collection and sold it to a classic car collector in Guatemala named Mario Sueiras. Just browse part of his collection on the link below and admire the eclectic range of vehicles:

https://cdn1.mecum.com/assets/docs/HA19_Sueiras/index.html

This car later resurfaced in 2019 at an auction in Houston and my friend identified it as his vehicle from the images and the location of the spotlight which he had relocated so it could be operated from the driver's seat without having to open the window:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0419-374605/1948-lincoln-continental-cabriolet/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: