Brakes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Brakes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello...Out for a relatively long drive recently and when arriving at our destination noticed a faint burning smell where I then checked the hubcaps and found the rear LH was too hot to touch…also realised one brake fluid reservoir was empty…not having inspected levels on our departure, unsure if leakage during the drive or when stationary…left to cool and no issues on returning, as braking was kept to a minim and hubcap not as hot once home again…any ideas?

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry forgot to mention regarding a SCIII LHD...

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2020 - 03:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe, If you have not adjusted the brakes recently, I would guess a seized rear brake cylinder or seized handbrake swivel or slide on the cylinder. Remove wheel and drum, the fluid loss may also be from the cylinder. I have recently had all of the cylinders on my S1 stainless steel sleeved and rebuilt by Past Parts in the uk. http://www.pastparts.co.uk/
Mark

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2020 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spot on...cylinder seized...a bit of fiddling removing cylinder but finally succeeded...dismantled and working...ordered seal kit for both sides...however no sign of fluid leak anywhere...

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2020 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had all my wheel cylinders and both master cylinders sleeved in SS, and new master cylinder pistons fabricated in bronze to avoid galling between the piston and the sleeve, if memory serves me correctly. Is the reservoir with no fluid feeding the rear brakes by the way Felipe?

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's the rear reservoir that was empty and not sure which end it feeds… now refilled
Won’t know until kit arrives, reassemble cylinder and take for a drive to maybe find a leak…
Could be master cylinder although reconditioned some years ago…

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, 16 October, 2020 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello...whilst waiting for parts to arrive, what is recommended cleaning/degreasing procedure for brake assembly ?

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found a degreasing spray at the local auto shop and with an old toothbrush could remove most of the oil and gunk...

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 12:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most brake / carburettor degreasers are acetone based and do a remarkable job of removing carbon and grease.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: