Electrics mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Electrics mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 00:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,
Unusual electric failure when attempting firing up the SCIII this morning…
Turn of ignition key produced a pssssssst type sound and all lights off…
Tightened battery cables and checked fuses and interior lights back on…turn the key and lights off again…
After some trial & error…fans working, as well as electric windows, however when turning headlamps switch or starter motor, all goes off…after a while I realised when getting in and out of the car, the movement connects whatever, and lights come on…ignition or lamps and all goes off…movement of car, lights on again…hmmmmmm…puzzling…any ideas what happened since a fortnight lastly parked in my garage?

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had the same trouble on my SC111
It was the connection on the solenoid above the starter motor.
Try that

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, 17 September, 2020 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the advise Trevor...
Not terribly skilful mechanically, hence still waiting for my mechanic to find time to call in, however today decided to have a look myself and removed the front wheel and had a look to see if I can find a solenoid by the starter motor, but unfortunately didn’t know what to look for and only saw one large cable which was tight on the motor…after connecting the battery again and remembering in the days when a classic starter motor didn’t fire up, one gave it a few tapes and usually that worked…which I did, and the head lights worked again plus fired up first time…hmmmmm…an enigma…but pleased it seems to be running again without any major effort!

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, 17 September, 2020 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe
There should be a solenoid there (unless it has been relocated by a previous owner) and this proved to be the problem on my car.
I think you will find that your problem will happen again.
What you have described is exactly what happened on my car,give the wiring a tug and it would work again for a short time.
Try and find your solenoid and check ALL the connections.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, 18 September, 2020 - 00:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe, if you find the solenoid and try to tighten the connection please remember that this connection is direct to the positive terminal on the battery with no fuse between. If your spanner touches the chassis or any other grounded item there will be a mighty great flash-bang-wallop.

Alan D.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, 18 September, 2020 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot to mention I changed the original starter motor for a Powerlite high-torque starter motor years ago and could be the solenoid is inside (?)

Thanks, I'll disconnect battery...

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also have this starter but you still have a solenoid Felipe.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: