S1 : U shaped metal strut welded to r... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 : U shaped metal strut welded to right rear wheel inner arch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rein Zwolsman
Yet to post message
Username: car_lover_all

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Completed all welding on my 1959 S1 except for the U shaped metal strut which is welded to the right rear inner wheel arch. The lower part was rotten, so does not know how the lower end looks like and how far from the bottom of the wheel arch. I assume it has to be open at the bottom to let all rubbish get through. This part can not be found in the documentation. Does anyone know this ? Many thanks for your help.

U shaped metal strut rear inner wheel arch

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just been out to the garage with a torch and camera.

This is my 1958 S1 (B465FG) and is not the same. It may have undergone 'reconstructive surgery' in the past. Hopefully, the adjacent profiles will give you some idea of the original shape.

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rein Zwolsman
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your help.
Have the impression that your car has only 1 hole and it should have 2 on each side. It is also closed at the bottom, so very prone to collecting rubbish. I think the Clouds and S series have the same strut.

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the bracket on my 1959 Silver Cloud. Notice that it goes almost to the lower pinch weld joint and is open at the bottom to theoretically allow drainage.

Richard Gray
Rt Rear Qtr Inr Brkt

Rein Zwolsman
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your reply. It looks like it is reconstructed. I assume that the majority of the struts are reconstructed after 60 years. It is a vulnerable rust area with damaged strut, inner wheel arch and outer wing. Will remove the lower part and weld the new part in.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: