SCII/S2 Onwards, Starter Motors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » SCII/S2 Onwards, Starter Motors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2005 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For cars from the SCII/S2, BritishStarters.com now publically offers an alternative brand-new gear-reduction starter motor. At $295 outright, you will save shipping a core for exchange, and you keep your valuable original. This is after a completely successful trial period with selected customers to prove them. They carry a lifetime guarantee. The one immediately below fits cars through the early 4-speed RHD SYs.

http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/RollsRoyceSCII.html

I am very happy with the one in my Turbo R I must say, seen here, which fits all 3-speed SYs and SZs:

http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/RollsRoyce.html

I understand the latter fits all cars until at least the last SZ produced, and maybe even the Arnage 6750s.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The starter motor on my S3 does not disengage. The spring on the bendix looks lazy. The engine fires up and the starter motor is then driven by the engine making a right racket.
Is this a common fault? is there a fix that someone can help me with?
Thanks

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar...
As you may have guessed, I would be inclined to remove the starter and observe its action on the bench to see if the Bendix spins out and then retracts under its own spring as it should. If not, the starter drive is defective and if it does retract as designed, the question then becomes what is causing it to not retract in situ.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 821
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. When you turn the engine off does the drive retract? or is it stuck on the ring gear and already pre-engaged next time "start" is selected at ignition switch?

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, you need to pull the starter out, put a chalk line on the drive plate and turn the engine over manually and inspect all the teeth on your ringgear.

Its rare but a faulty starter can bugger the ring gear and cause you a world of pain by you having to remove the gearbox to replace the flywheel.

My next step would be to take the starter to a auto electrician and get him to test the srarter under load. They should have a machine to do that.

How about a photo of your S3?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
Your starter should be the pre engaged type, so the solenoid return spring should pull out the gear.I'm sure you will see the problem as soon as you get the motor off OK.
Let's see a picture of the car, was next to a lovely S2 yesterday.
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, 09 July, 2018 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it is a Bentley dressed as something else.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

took the starter apart.
it was just poorly fitted together in the first place. The throw adjustment was not right. will fix that and then put it back .

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m one who prefers everything original but after many of the obvious problems, installed this new starter in my SCIII last year and a very positive difference to the original slow starter...

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too installed the reduction starter.
The extra “oomph” from the starter sure does make a world of difference.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar nice car love the wheels.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2018 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Omar,

I forgot to comment on your beautiful car.

Congrats mate.

I think we need a video walk through of the Omar collection.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2018 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The S3 was bought in part exchange against my Shadow. The reason was that i am on a cull and all cars have to go. Sadly the car sales are difficult right now in Dubai. So I agreed with a mate that i would swap my Shadow for the "Cloud III" and when it is running well he would buy the Cloud off me.
I technically own it now but it really has my mate's name on it.
I preferred the original wheels but this is how it came and the new owner likes the wires

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2018 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The shot of that creamy white shapely ass is just fantastic Omar.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Thursday, 12 July, 2018 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and we all know how much we like shapely big asses......

Grand Master

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2018 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, your RR/B looks el swanko. I too like the wheels. It looks like a UK car Bentley S3 that got the RR make over in the USA which I never understood but somebody told me this happened to a whole lot of Bentleys that went Stateside.

You mate is welcome to send me his price on zzzzzcobetzzzzz@yahoo.com just in case I go nuts and give up my very hedonistic life as an old unemployed mechanic and go back to hellish crawl through the grease, grime and nitwits to earn loot and then get pillaged by my overly friendly bank manager again.

I don't suppose the original grill is residing in the boot by any chance? Was it in Kentucky before arriving in Dubai?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Saturday, 14 July, 2018 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
The boot had bugger all in it.
Yes it was in Kentucky before it arrived in the UAE.
And my mate is paying me AUD 34,000 for the car.
I think it is a fair price.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2018 - 10:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Omar, I just wonder what became of all those super dashing Bentley grills. Were they stored or did they unbelievably end up at the wrecking yard or local rubbish dump.

I wonder how much one would have to pay to buy a S3 grille? FS does not advertise any so I guess they are a pretty rare item with a pretty huge price tag.

It looks like a lot of car for $34,000 but a car like that would not sell for more than $50,000 in Oz at the moment so to import it with all the costs and government lunacy here it would cost more than $50,000 to import it.

If I was living in Dubai, unless I was starving to death and eating sand sandwiches minus the bread I don't think I would drop my price too far down from $34,000 AUD.

You probably know this Omar but that model is notorious for having its rear wheel arches severely rusted and bogged up. They are evidently a bitch of a thing to get right being double panelled. I had a RR Dealership trained mechanic from the Netherlands explain this to me one time.

These cars can only rise in value in time so I think that car should be a keeper.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Vlad.
I never intended to keep it but if i had to keep it I would not be too upset. My daughter already loves the look of it.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, you should convey from the Mad Russian of Mount Coolon, to your daughter that she has impeccable taste of class.

I think the fact that your daughter being what age she is shows that the Clouds are a timeless classic. Timeless English Classic.

I know you are trying to bribe me with this car Omar, trying to lure me to Dubai where I will have to behave.

And Omar, it is a good bribe.

But tell me Omar, if you have this car up your sleeve, what other gems are you hiding over there like Ali Bloody Baba?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Friday, 20 July, 2018 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vladimir,
My fleet of cars is a worry for me because for many years it was a secret form the wife. Then she found out how many i actually had and then the poo hit the fan. We have a normal house and normal houses start to look crowded if the number of cars in it reach double digits. My "hobby" became a disease when the first of the double digits became 3. I am now seeking help and am trying to sell sell sell. Sadly the cars are now worth tuppeny haypenny becuase the classic car market has crashed where I live. My cars are mostly Bentleys/Cadillacs and VWs. I want to bring the number down to a manageable 15 and then we can all be happy.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, 20 July, 2018 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, secret from the wife. Hootnanny, you are a bloody legend Omar. Mate you must have balls of steel. I bet the sh*t really hit the fan!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: