Valve Stem seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Valve Stem seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When my engine was rebuilt I decided to use the old type "string" seals as they had lasted 50 plus years so I thought all would be well.
I bought new string seals from FS.
I fitted new Iridium plugs and have noticed some fouling of the electrodes!
This may be caused by the "running in" period of new rings etc. but I think there may be too much oil getting down the valve stems.
The valve guides were redone using the K Line bronze inserts.
I have a set of the new type seals and would like to know if anyone has used them and to what effect.
Thanks again
Trevor Pickering

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you seal the collets? I updated the seals on my 1980 Wraith to the positive seals with spring garter. You do away with the inner springs that used to force down the seal cups and do not seal the collets. The new seals are Viton and dirt cheap.http://enginetechcatalog.com/Valves/ValveSeals.aspx

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just thinking...did you soak the new string seals in oil before installing?

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the reply Robert
The replacement string seals were well soaked in oil prior to instalation.
The new type I have are Vitron seals of the same type as FS supply.
I did not seal the collets but I understand this is required when using vitron seals?

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The originals should be sealed. There is pro/con regarding sealing for the new positive seals. The tech guys I spoke to at the mfgr suggest not sealing to insure the valve slides smoothly within the spring gator.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would run the engine in first . Usually a little oil consumption until bedded in.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul

I will just re-torque the head bolts and replace gaskets for now and see how things go for a while.

Trevor Pickering

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.49.40
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The gaiter seals caused R-R problems in the V8, with seized valves. There was a service bulletin to inject graphite grease down the cuff of the seal. The string seals are really anti-poppeting and only air and oil "control".

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: