Bentley S2 winker lamps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Bentley S2 winker lamps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 90.71.181.196
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello...I've come across a S2 with very unusual front wing winker lamps (as stated on build sheet options) are these special indicators? I believe the top wing side lamps were never indicators, so what front indicators did normal early models have?
Many thanks

(Message approved by david_gore)

Nathan Dixon
Experienced User
Username: dicko1009

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2017 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wing top lights are just side lights selected when you use the switch above the key for S or H or F, side, head of fog.

The indicator or flasher is a standard Lucas SF576 light located above the bumper at the front. They have a yellow globe and act as both indicator and fog light. These types of lights were fitted to many british cars of the era and Lambretta scooters

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2017 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any photos Felipe?

felipe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After several attempts, photo attachment not sending ! Never had this problem before...

felipe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2017 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Her are some photos of the 1960 S2 in question...
As well the rear lamps are complete amber lens which I believe have a small red lens in the interior for the brake lights (?)

Attachments will not upload exceeding size...I've converted to PDF and also not accepted..any ideas?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Felipe,

Unregistered guests are not able to post images/attachments.

If you have or can create a Google Drive folder, just upload anything you want posted and email the access link to me [drh14434AT(@)yahoo.com.au] - just remove all brackets and capitalised letters for correct address.

In the meantime, think about registering as a forum member?

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As the Fog light is also the indicator on Cloud and Cloud II's, all be it a slightly lower power filament, the question I wondered, is what would happen if I indicated at the same time the fog light is lit. It turns out that the car is supposed to switch off the fog lamp filament in the same lamp that is flashing, so there will be an obvious contrast between flasher on and flasher off. But, some not so clever person has seemingly swapped my filament foglight feeds, because on my car indicating right dims the left fog lamp, and vice versa, and the difference between indicator filament on and off is only slightly visible in each case because the fog lamp filament is on all the time the indicator is flashing. It is pretty normal in modern cars with daytime running lamps to dim the running lamp if it is in proximity to the indicator, when it is flashing. I thought an interesting observation which would mean that each fog lamp must be driven by its own relay.

phillip
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hell David...went through all steps to register days ago, but hasn’t received confirmation...
What do you suggest...wouldn't allow me send you direct message since I have no password.
Regards,
Felipe

David Gore

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe,

Just send me an email using Gmail, Yahoo or other email service provider - you will need this to send me your images as well.

Registration approval can take several days depending on the Administrator's commitments - have you checked the SPAM folder in your email account as the email activation message often ends up here instead of your Inbox? Make sure you click the activation link in the email to complete the registration process.

phillip
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.59.242.121
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know how to send you an email if I don't have yours...

{Email Address Deleted by Moderator}

I've looked in spam and nothing...

}

David Gore

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Felipe,

Have sent you an email from my Yahoo email address.

Hopefully this will expedite posting your photos.

phillip
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.59.242.121
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Received and photos sent !
Many thanks for your patience...

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No photos here Phillip!

David Gore

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here they are:

Felipe also advises the rear brake lights are Orange and not the usual Red - he hasn't tested this because the car is in Holland and he is planning to ship it to Spain.

phillip
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 90.106.172.14
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, and finally posted...
The front wing lamps in question are on the building sheets as special feature.
This is a one EU owner from new with original colour combination.
Maybe this owner didn't want the fog/indicator option.
The rear lamp lenses are amber and hopefully will light up red when braking ! Otherwise won't pass MOT here in Spain.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

phillip
I would paint the section of the rear lamp lenses where the stop lights are, with a transparent red acrylic paint. Hope thet will help to pass Spanish MOT.
Jonas

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 - 04:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phillip, my S2 had amber lenses too. They lit up red for brake. It was a RHD car in the US.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.51.182
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The S1 series (and most of the S2 series) rear lamps were all orange on production. Fit a red bulb?

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.51.182
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS,
The US specification red lens for these lamps is available new from Holden Classics, in UK.
£39.60 each +tax +shipping.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like many modern cars, the tail lamps on all S and S2 cars contain two lens layers per lamp. There is the outer lens in Red or Orange, and 2 inner lenses, one over each bulb, usually red for tail and stop, and orange/amber for indicator. Of course U.S.A. New York spec cars will be all red, but English and Australian delivered S and S2 cars all had an orange outer lens and red inner for stop which gives the stop and tail lamps a red colour through orange outer lenses when lit. What I also find of interest is the prismatic reflector below the lamps. They seem to be predominantly orange on S models and red on S2 but I don't know if this is just the few I observed or whether it varies. Of course S3s came with orange and red outer lenses like most modern cars, again excepting those sold in New York and perhaps some other U.S. states which came in red only. Perhaps someone will know what determined the prismatic reflector colour also. Obviously local rules impacted. I know for example Australia had rules relating to a dash mounted handbrake warning light, in the 1960s for example, and front indicators could be white or orange up to a certain date. It was common for white parking lamps to also be front indicators on many cars. Perhaps the European delivered S2 above required white front indicators for local regs at the time. What country was it originally delivered to?

phillip
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 90.106.172.14
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, interesting all the different requirements over the years and reference to the rear lamps I've now found both versions on the net and the early models indeed have a red lens over the brake/stop bulb...
Still, find the front indicator lamps unusual although I've seen only one other standard saloon
on the net as well as many coachbult bodies, i.e. Park Ward examples.
This S2 was first delivered to Switzerland.

felipe heuser
New User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello... been a few months due to issues with paperwork, and finally decided to drive the 1600 kilometres as shipping was fully booked for weeks...but fortunately with dry sunny weather arrived without any problems. As a well maintained S2 should !
An update regarding rear lamps which after several days of testing all possibilities realised that the wiring had been tampered with and now successfully all working correctly...rear lamps as mentioned, have a small red lens over the brake bulb inside the amber lens!
Smiths clock not running and although removed casing to see if any wire is disconnected, decided don’t know enough about the works, so researched the web and found a very good and possibly only Smiths & Kienzle repairman in the UK. I’d rather have the original repaired than an exchange which is relatively abundant to find.
Probably will find a few more bits doing but generally is in very good nick.

Regards

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 14:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe the non working clock is usually down to the operating contacts carboning up.
I've had a couple repaired over the years and the
modern trend is to replace the working with a suitable electronic mechanism.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: