VIN and Speedometer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » VIN and Speedometer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just bought a 61 Cloud 2. I have not received the car yet. In the meantime, I have begun doing research. I know my Shadows and Spur. The VIN is CT 5132. Any insight? I do know it is RHD.

The speedometer is not working. Can anyone give the basics how it is hookup, etc.

Richard

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That number may be what the car is registered with but it's not the correct VIN. A RHD 1961 Cloud 2 VIN would have a prefix of SXC, SYD, or SZD followed by a number between 1 and 3 digits.
Each end of the inner speedo cable has a fitting pressed on which sometimes comes loose. To determine if that is the reason for the non operating speedometer disconnect the outer cable from the rear of the speedo and try to spin the inner by hand. If you can turn it by hand then one of the end fittings is loose. If that is the fault the end fitting can be refastened to the inner cable with red Loctite. If the inner will not turn then the fault is likely in the speedometer itself.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just did a recheck on the VIN. On the title, it has SAE 107? Car is from Canada.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That sounds more like it, the SAE*** series were 1961-62.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Richard,
The SAE series cars are officially 1962, and the very last series of Silver Cloud II cars (see attachment). That means it will have some features mostly found on Silver Cloud III's including the dual heater matrice's with left and right heater taps, parking brake warning light, dashboard rear window heater switch, cubby box doors, updated rear ashtrays, spare wheel cover, deeper spare wheel compartment, and various other tweaks under the skin. I know there are more, but that is all I can recall.
application/pdf
Cloud II Chassis Numbers.pdf (76.9 k)

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention that left hand drive cars use the exact same numbering system with the addition of a leading letter L. A leading L and 2 letters (3 letters total) are the long wheelbase cars I think, which are all coach-built.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SAE 107 may have engine number 53ES. As it is a RHD car it was likely UK delivered and shipped to Canada later.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 12:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

VERY interesting, David.

Thanks!

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: