Tyres Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Tyres « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
Experienced User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am needing to replace the tyres on the SCII. I see various threads going back a few years dealing with the issue. I consider my self a practical purist, so cannot for safety reasons bring myself use a cross or bias ply tyre, when radial ply tyres are available. My car is one of the later Cloud IIs and so has the slightly wider spare wheel well, so i'm not too concerned about that yet.
Sizes like 235/75 R15 and 225/75 R15 have been splashed around as contenders. What has really plucked my interest though are bias ply looking radial tyres. I am seriously considering American Classic 820R15 3 1/4" Whitewall Bias Look Radials.
I'm not crazy about the 50's American style pie crust edge, but I think they could be the best compromise between appearance and performance. They are around 29.9 inches in diameter new, which places them well into the upper range for tyre diameter for 820.15s which were of course the original equipment.

I was wondering if anyone on here has or knows someone who has bought some of these. They may be more plentiful on Classic American car forums, and a google search shows this, but I mean within this club. Unless I find verifiable evidence to the contrary, I'll likely get some.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Speaking as a proud Silver Cloud I owner, the white wall, especially the medium width as shown, is an absolute must as well as a taller profile tire, again, as shown. The lower profile tires, at least to my eye, make the body appear too close to the ground and rather "squat" appearing...like a "lowrider", but that's just my take.

Michael Carr
New User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very quick check-in.. :-)

I would recommend a call to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLongstoneTyres

Best

Mike

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 04 November, 2016 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christian, I do agree with your view. Both here an in the UK the whitewalls were uncommon on new cars, but when a purist becomes contentious, I always show them a factory photo with whitewalls.
It is really just a matter of personal taste.

Thanks Michael, I watched his video and noted that one of the issues in going to radials is the additional drag created by the increased tread width. The tyre above should suffer no such issue, and nor does it appear to have a greater section width, which means the issue of clashing with exhaust pipes, chassis rails etc is eliminated.
The one great advantage a radial has over a bias ply, apart from the puncture resistant steel belts, is that the tread surface remains flat on the road surface as the vehicle corners greatly improving both cornering stability and the ultimate level of available grip. I suspect this tyre was specifically developed for people like me with cars like us that ran tyres like the 820.15 new.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 13:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just an update! My car is now fitted with the American Classic Bias look radials. It is as though someone has taken a magic wand and waived it over the car. The back end used to move all over the road, with constant steering inputs required. The front would dangerously follow every rut and depression, and driving was hard work. Not any more! The car is now so stable and smooth I just can't believe it's the same car. I'll take a photo for your viewing pleasure next time it is out.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Thanks for the update. While it will be a while before my current set wear out, it is good to get feedback as to how the "bias look" radials perform. I assume that what you had before and that handled so poorly were straight bias ply? I wonder why they performed so badly. Have they gone the way of the junk pile, or aare they still around, in which case I wonder what the load rating was, manufacturer, number of plies, air pressure you used, or anything else that might shed light. I will look at those on my Cloud I tomorrow but I am sure that they are standard Firestone bias. They handle quite smoothly, track straight even on irregular surfaces, and steering is effortless but solid feeling even at 70 mph, so you have me wondering.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just thought I should post an update to the tyre situation. So far so good! The bias ply looking radials are performing well and I'm happy with the result. Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II SZD471

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
BEAUTIFUL Cloud!! No wonder you're happy. Best car RR ever made IMHO. Oh, tyres look marvelous as well. I get ten times the complimets and "looks" in my own Cloud than any other of my collection.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Christian. Of course I unreservedly agree with you. I think that's why Silver Cloud values are expected to rise in coming years. Here's another image to confirm our theories. Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II RHS

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to agree with Christian here David.

Best Rolls Royce shape ever.

The tyres suit it down to the ground, amazing looking car mate, you should be proud.

Colour combo is awesome

Any chance of some interior pics David?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: