Front and Rear Suspension bush repairs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Front and Rear Suspension bush repairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
Experienced User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have finally got my SCII registered, and a road test has revealed that the back end is moving around - a lot. I can get new bushes for the springs and Z Bar OK, but then begs the question of do I need a rear spring compressor, and will I be able to replace the rear bushes if I have fabricated a threaded press similar to the one that Sherbourne Mews sells for the shock absorber bushes:

http://www.sherbournemews.com/sharedassets/IMG_0277a.jpg

I also found an interesting low cost leaf spring stretcher (compressor):

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/home-made-leaf-spring-compressor-202666.html

Anyone who has done this job already may like to provide real world details of the misery involved.

I know all of this is in the manual, but I certainly don't have access to all of the fancy factory tools used there and want a safe low cost alternative, if one exists or if I can make one.

My front lower outer pivots also need attending to, and so do those on the car. I'm thus also curious about any front spring compressor fabricated or purchased. I do have several types already, but they are for fitting to macpherson struts' coils on the outside. I was wondering if a pair of carefully fabricated doubled ended hooks might be capable of constraining the coil insitu while the suspension is fully compressed, thus taking the spring tension up and allowing the double A-arms to become unloaded as the suspension is relaxed. The convenient eye at the top centre of the spring upper mount which is fitted for the use of a factory compressor could hang on to one end of my double ended hooks with the other radiused to just fit between the coils and stay securely put on the coil. I do fancy the thought of letting the hydraulic jack do the work of compression/relaxation. Anyone with any thoughts or personal experience on either case please feel free to comment.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone any feedback on this topic?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm lucky enough to have the tools so have not had to wrestle with them.

I have a feeling that the RR ones may be too shalom to make the rear work.

The fonts have so little spring showing it would be hard to clamp.

I think I heard of somebody doing it with a jack and wood made to fit into the ball socket in the spring pan.

Jaguars used a very similar system , but I don't know if that will help where you are.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul. I'll continue the search, perhaps someone else can advise those that don't have the RR special tool as how they completed the tasks.

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David
In a previous life I was in the fortunate position to make the correct tools for these jobs, I highly recommend you source the correct tools, and carry out the job on a hoist (lift), firstly for safety reasons and also for the ease of the job.
Regards
David

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, I hope to source a "correct tool" or if I cannnot find one (them), I can always design a tool(s) and have someone fabricate it for me. I just don't have have the resources or skill to fabricate myself, but I'm a Chartered Mech Eng, so that I can do!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: