Radiator Shell Badge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Radiator Shell Badge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Moran
Frequent User
Username: mjcmoran

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 01:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me how the RR radiator shell badge is attached to the shell itself on the Silver Cloud? Is it possible to buy replacement radiator shell badges and attach them?

I ask as one I know of is badly damaged and the owner would like to replace it. The shell itself can be saved and re-polished but not the badge.

Best as ever

Michael (RREC No: MOR28039)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silver soldered with two lugs on the back of the badge . . . if I remember correctly.

Michael Moran
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul.

Where on earth would one find such a badge?

I cannot imagine they were/are sold as an after market part!

Michael

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if they are the same size as a Shadow badge?

I might be able to get one off a damaged grille if it is.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael...
They turn up on EBay or EBay-UK periodically.
Christian

Michael Moran
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul and Christian

Thanks for your reply.

Over many years I have learned to assume nothing concerning Rolls-Royce motor cars!

I think it imperative to measure a radiator badge on a Cloud and one on a Shadow and see if indeed they do match in all parameters - height, width and thickness. Also that the lugs are in the same position on both. I cannot imagine drilling holes on the shell to make a Shadow badge fit a Cloud radiator shell.

Rolls-Royce may have altered the badge size to accommodate to the variations in proportion of the radiator grilles of different models. This seems to be the main point of interest.

Thanks for your help - it is rather an odd request I know. Here in Poland, especially Warsaw strangely enough, there are not so many cars to inspect and compare....

A used badge or should I say more correctly 'patinated badge' off a Cloud radiator grille would of course be more than welcome. A brand new badge on this grille and unrestored car may look out of place.

Cheers

Michael

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael...
Setting aside the issue of location of the tabs, comparing sizes is not that formidable a task. You have the Cloud I in your possession (?) and can thus easily measure. I am currently driving a 1955 Silver Dawn and will try to remember to take a ruler with me next time I go somewhere and measure that one...simply for curiosity...and someone else with a Shadow should be easily able to provide that measurement. If they are all the same, all is well and location of tabs may be hopefully similar as well. If these three measurments vary, then you are in a more complicated position.
Christian

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1938 Wraith Approx 4 * 7 cm

b1

1977 Shadow II Approx 4 * 7 cm

b2

1979 Red Badge Camargue Approx 4 * 7 cm

b3

Seems a tradition spanning at least 40 years. I think it was reduced with the smaller radiator of the Spirits around 1996?

Michael Moran
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 15:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christian and Mark - most helpful.

I did not go into details. The Cloud is being restored in another part of the country (I have no access to it) and the radiator shell is also off being polished somewhere else. I just thought I would vaguely ask this question (as the gent does not speak English) in case anyone happened to know where to obtain a replacement badge and answer my question on sizes.

Interesting and useful - thanks...

Michael

Michael Moran
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 16:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian I took up your suggestion.

Does this look correct to you? I have my doubts.

I think it is more like the boot badge for a Shadow or perhaps one that some place on the rear pillar.

I have asked for confirmation from the seller but...

Michael

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-NOS-Rare-Rolls-Royce-Black-Letter-Radiator-Badge-Emblem-Original-Car-/301959431752

Michael Moran
Frequent User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian

You may not want to continue this thread but I have looked closely at the badges on the boot and radiator shell of my 1974 Shadow.

Although they are the same dimensions, the radiator shell badge has 'Rolls' and 'Royce'more finely engraved than the boot badge. This fine work is not the case with the boot badge although to the casual observer they do look the same.

The metal too of both may be different which would account for the difference in engraving technique - it appears so to me. Having the radiator badge in stainless steel to match the rest of the polished radiator seems to make sense and would explain much. The boot badge would not require such close metal matching as it is mounted in a chromed housing.

I expect the same differences apply to the Cloud radiator badge.

They are not the same and the ebay item above is definitely a Shadow boot badge in my opinion.

If you ever hear of anything....I would be grateful. It is in may ways the focal point of the car and as such must be absolutely correct.

Of course this cry for assistance applies to anyone else out there reading this thread!

Thanks once again

Michael

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2016 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael...If they are so similar (boot and radiator) that no one would notice, I think that answers your questions, as "similar" is better than "missing". It is also possible (100% speculation here) that the difference based on application location may be the position of the mounting posts. In any event, the one you linked, although pricey, is about as pristine as you could hope. Did you notice that the same seller also has two others, one quite trashed, and another used but quite presentable and reasonably priced. If I were your friend, I would grab the presentable one, if not the pristine one, while the opportunity exists.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 03:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

If they are so similar (boot and radiator) that no one would notice, I think that answers your questions, as "similar" is better than "missing". It is also possible (100% speculation here) that the difference based on application location may be the position of the mounting posts.

Amen!! If something is "made of unobtainium" (or close enough to it) and an excellent reasonable facsimile is available that facsimile is vastly preferable to missing.

As to mount points, even if one had to drill alternates they're completely hidden from anyone's view, including judges at RROC events, and if an original were to be found it could simply be put on in place of the facsimile. My only concern would be if, somehow, the facsimile's mount points would require screwing up the original mount points in some way. I'd also never solder a facsimile in place, but would try to have the posts threaded so that something like a Nylock nut could be used, which makes future deinstallation much, much less complicated.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: