Oil sender replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Oil sender replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Higginbotham
Yet to post message
Username: jackh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 22:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,
I am a new member here, and this is my first post. We have had our 1961 Silver Cloud II for two years and enjoy her thoroughly. The oil sender went up and I have my replacement. My question.... Teflon tape? I see both arguments being made. The old unit has no evidence of any thread sealer. Any advise appreciated!
Jack

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,

Welcome to the forums.

When we replaced the oil pressure sender on our 1958 Cloud 1, we fitted either an aluminium or copper crushable washer, I don't recall which, to give an oil tight seal. I can't imagine PTFE being used originally or needed today if you fit a washer to the thread.

Kind regards,

Chris

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PTFE tape can insulate electrically bits that shouldn't insulated.

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 12:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Chris. I went with your advise. My replacement did come with a crush washer, and everything is working well. it is comforting to see the needle in the correct general area on the gauge again. Thank you!
Best regards,
Jack

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,

Good news. Glad all is well with the oil pressure. Always a good sign! Would be good to see a photo or two of your car if could post them here.

Kind regards,

Chris

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again, Chris. Attached (hopefully) are a couple of images...

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And sorry to perhaps be posting a question in the wrong location....but I cannot view "Post 1955" section. Is this correct with my registration level?
Thank you,
Jack

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack,

I believe you must be a member of the RROC-A itself, and not just registered to use the forums, to get into any of the forums under the RROC-A Members Only area of the forums.

If you are a member of the RROC-A then I'd drop an e-mail to the forums administrator requesting access.

Brian

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Brian. I am not a member, so will research what is required to join. Thank you!
Jack

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack,

Click to go to the RROC-A Main Page, which includes a link regarding membership.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Jack - we need more participants with the earlier models to make the Forum better balanced.

You posted your question under the right topic, it would not have been appropriate for the Club "Post 55 Register" - this is used for reports on past Register events and forthcoming events on an infrequent basis. The main source of information about Register events is the Federal magazine "Praeclarvm".

David

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That first photo is really special; thanks for sharing. The fog, the bare trees, with the white Car: special.
A local Cadillac dealer waited 20 years to photograph a white Cadillac in the snow in front of a local palatial mansion: either it didn't snow (most of the time in Louisiana) or he did not have a white car. He finally got the shot back in the late 1970s I think: he almost wore the Sunday paper out running that photo in the ads.

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2015 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,

A beautiful car and excellent photographs. Thanks for posting them.

Kind regards,

Chris Browne

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice looking Cloud.

Not sure about the 4 spot lamps though. IMO I think its clutter.

Still a nice car.

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all,
I appreciate the kind words! I hear what you are saying Robert.... the lamps were on the car when I bought it and they have grown on me. And in the fog at night, they are practical. However, I normally don't like "extras" on cars. When I bought my Austin Healey many years ago, the first thing I did was remove the badge bar.
The images are from my phone, but I did the best I could! The day I took those shots was just outstanding for photography.
Thank you again for the kind words.

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy, I appreciate the Cadillac story! I do enjoy getting a good picture now and again. David, thanks for the welcome! This forum has been a great source of information and entertainment. It's nice to finally "meet" you all. Regarding earlier/later cars, I am contemplating a Silver Wraith II. I need to find homes for a couple of cars first though!
Best regards
Jack

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2015 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack,

Great pictures. Great car.

I agree with Randy, the top picture is particularly atmospheric. It reminds me of English, autumnal mornings. I can almost smell that country air.

Thanks for putting them up

Regards

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2015 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack,
As long as the fog lamps a needed then they have to stay.

I have those Joe Lucas prince of darkness square eight fog lamps and I am not impressed with the light out put do I removed them.

Some like to adorn their cars in all manner of clutter from accessory shops.

My Shadow doesn't have a badge that says Shadow. I like that.

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2015 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
Thank you.... I'm glad the shots are appreciated. That day was between one snow melt and another big storm (well, big for Maryland....it was about a foot). The fog was rolling in and it got VERY thick. Hense, my appreciation for those low mounted lamps!!! Being near the Chesapeake Bay, thick fog is a way of life here.
Robert,
I very much agree.... I enjoy letting the beauty of the vehicles we love speak for themselves. I know I'm not alone in this, but at the end of a long day, it is a pleasure to sit in my shop and simply enjoy the lines on the Silver Cloud. The art and design never ceases to amaze me.
Best regards,
Jack

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2015 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bit like fitting a body kit to an E type jag. It will ruin the car.

My Jeep came with side bars bull bars and tail light grills and spot lamps.

I removed them and the Jeep now looks like what the designer designed.

Incidently.
Bull bars are dangerous to pedestrians. Also a good reason to remove. Nearly hit a buffalo in the high street. Not.

I look at cars and see design cues from bygone days. I can see how the car got to be that shape.

Except Nissan Juke.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2015 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Hitting pedestrians with a bull bar is collateral damage; hitting a kangaroo/wombat [or cattle in unfenced paddocks] at highway speed is terminal.

Bull bars are essential in country areas but not in towns and cities; bull bars that do not interfere with the vehicle's inbuilt safety systems are made here and have ADR compliance. Same reasoning applies to driving and fog lights. The auxiliary lights on Jack's car are a neat installation and, in my opinion, certainly appropriate for the region where the vehicle is used. After all, RRMC would install driving and fog lights if ordered by a customer and these were appropriately installed in a neat and professional manner which certainly appears to have been the case with Jack's vehicle.

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2015 - 11:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To a degree, perhaps you just get used to things. I have a '75 450SEL....I see great disdain for the U.S. headlights and bumpers on international forums. But that is what I grew up with and was impressed with. It looks fine to me!
At the same time, I do however, smile at lifted jeeps in town with lots of chrome and perfect paint and chrome light bars. I had an fj-40 with brush bars, big tires and a 4" lift....but I put a lot of miles through mud and sand with kayaks strapped to the roof. Form follows function to a degree!
With the Silver Cloud, I do drive the car regularly ( as I do with all my cars) and as David pointed out, my region has fog....and additionally, a LOT of deer. The lights serve a very useful purpose!

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2015 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A local guy lifted a Jeep Cherokee and it fell off a roundabout. The Jeep looked stupid.

I don't really have trouble with widerbeasts and kangeroos. So I drive an unadorned Jeep.

We have pick ups that are very blingy chrome wheels etc. I dont see the point, to me a pick up is a work horse carrying stuff around.

The standard sealed beams on my car are adequate for the conditions in Dorset. I just drive slower if in adverse conditions. Rare.

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2015 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack
Welcome.
If not already a member, you may be interested in joining the Silver Cloud Society, a group within the RROC of America with a $25 membership fee. This group produce the Post 55 magazine and technical emails that are extremely useful.
The secretary is Larry Durocher, Larry's email is laduroch@earthlink.net
Regards
David Hughes

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David & Jack,

Just for clarity, you must be a member of the RROC-US itself before you can join any of the societies. You can check out this webpage on membership for categories and costs. The international digital membership is really a bargain for those who qualify.

Larry's a great guy who also happens to have an absolutely stunning, and restored to concours correctness, Cloud II DHC (or I think it's a Cloud II).

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: