Broken engine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Broken engine « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grassetto Eugenio
Experienced User
Username: grassetto

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 21 November, 2013 - 02:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Bentley S2 1960 has a strong noise from the engine left side, it's like one piston hits metal, the hammering frequency goes up with the revs, there is a thick white smoke from the exhaust. What happened? What I have to do in your opinion. Your suggestion are very welcome because I 'm very afraid it 'is a serious problem.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 533
Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2013 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What does the smoke smell of? If it's just water and/or anti freeze I would be inclined to suspect that the head gasket is leaking or even that there's a crack in the cylinder head. Check the cooling system for pressure by very carefully loosening the pressure cap, but only while the engine is still cold! It's quite surprising just how much 'smoke' (steam) can be produced from so little coolant that the level can hardly drop enough to be visible. Many garages can check a sample of the coolant for combustion byproducts to indicate if upper cylinder gasses have got into it that would indicate either of the above problems. Now check the condition of the oil filler cap to look for 'mayonnaise' - an emulsion of engine oil and water - but bear in mind that it can happen in a sound engine if the car is used infrequently and for short journeys that don't get the oil up to an adequate temperature to boil off any water that has got into it.

On the other hand it's possible that a big end shell bearing has collapsed so that the bearing cap is now hammering against the crank journal. I wouldn't expect that to send smoke or steam through the exhaust system, but it could explain the noise meaning that the two symptoms are caused by separate problems.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 875
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2013 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a piston has let go.
Do a check with a compresson test to confirm!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: