Removal of rear door timber trim on S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Removal of rear door timber trim on S1 Bentley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Craig Daniel
Yet to post message
Username: craig_d

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2013 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish to remove the timber trim in the rear doors of my S1 Bentley so they can be refinished. I am seeking advice as to how to remove the grab handles that appear to be attached to the door frame through the timber trim allowing its removal. I have looked at the workshop manual and it does not describe how the grab handles are removed. Any advise as how to remove the timber trim on the rear doors of an S1 Bentley or Silver Cloud 1 would be appreceiated.

Kind Regards
Craig d

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, 29 August, 2013 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Craig,

You will have to remove the leather door cards first. Once they are out of the way, you need to reach up underneath the wood trim with a thin open ended spanner (either 7/16" or 1/2" I can't remember which) and undo the two nuts which hold the handle in position. It is a very fiddly job as you may only be able to turn the nuts one flat at a time.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Chris

Craig Daniel
New User
Username: craig_d

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 29 August, 2013 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Chris,
I can see the bolts, they look difficult.
I'll keep you posted.

Kind Regards
Craig d.

Steven Spencer
New User
Username: sspencer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2013 - 03:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are 7/16 and I had to grind down a open end box tool to fit up in the slot.

BillHeath
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.229.140.50
Posted on Wednesday, 31 March, 2021 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An eight year 'bump' on this thread!

I have now managed to remove the door finishers from my S1 for re-lacquering. Thanks to the posts above and with the aid of a stream of expletives!

What I cannot work out is how to remove the B and C pillar sections, preferably without damaging anything. Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks, Bill

B465FD

(Message approved by david_gore)

Nathan Dixon
New User
Username: dicko1009

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 31 March, 2021 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The B and C pillar sections of wood are held in place by two screws which are under the leather paneling. Gently remove the leather covers and the metal tab with the two screws will be evident. remove the screws and gently push upwards the B pillar wood trim, the C pillar wood trim has a small clip holding it in place behind the cloth trim.

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 01 April, 2021 - 00:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, a B pillar finisher is off. It had fixing plates/screws both top and bottom, so I also had to remove the cloth trim above the wood. This was held in place by screws from behind the rubber door seal which have now torn out, so I will have to glue the cloth section back in place.

I'm giving up on the C pillar section. The leather triangle below goes behind the finisher. Removing it would appear to involve taking out the rear seat and removing the side bolster and armrest. i'll just hope that no-one looks too closely back there!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3906
Posted on Thursday, 01 April, 2021 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Never forget Murphy's Laws [as amended].

You can be certain someone looking at your vehicle will see the relevant deviation and comment accordingly.

Hopefully one of our experienced contributors will be able to provide more specific advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: