S1 engine problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 engine problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Craig
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.9.75
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2004 - 15:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I was driving my S1 bentley to day & the engine started to make really bad noise a (RR RR RR sound) . The noise seems to becomming from the top front of the engine. It sounds like a bearing noise. It does not sound like big end bearing noise. I am wondering if it is water pump??? or perhaps cam shaft bearings???. The engine seems to run fine & there is no sign of overheating. The noise increases & decreases in volume.(comes & goes) Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks yours Craig D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Craig just seen your posting, if it is not to late the first step i sugest is to remove the fan belt and run the engine up for a short period.
If the noise is still there proceed to check the the area with a long screwdriver to ones ear.
Report back findings.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.215
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Craig. Are you located in Australia?. If so, and you ultimately identify water pump failure, I might be able to arrange re-build of your pump, using some NON-original parts (TRIED and PROVEN!) specifically, the SEAL, the genuine part being very (very!) expensive.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Craig
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.134.237.102
Posted on Wednesday, 01 December, 2004 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Guys I live just outside Sydney . Wrote the message in despair/panic a few months ago. Investigation revealed that I had 2 noises. The first and main being generator. Worn out bush/ no lubrication resulting in internal external surfaces rubbing together. I was extremely lucky to locate a second hand generator in excellent condition at of all places the annual holden swapmeet. It cost me $40 which is the least amount I have ever spent on my car & I am still really chuffed about it. The second noise is carby rattle occasionally when at idle. Worn SU's I will get them overhauled. I will keep in mind about the water pump o'haul thank you. Yours Craig D

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 02 December, 2004 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Craig Just a thought on the carbs.
Sometimes dampers can rattle inside the suction chambers due to no or little oil in the pistons.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.190
Posted on Thursday, 02 December, 2004 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Craig. If you decide to overhaul your "SU"s, might I suggest that you have them attended to by "Midel" in Lakemba. I suppose you know about them already; very fine professional work at fair prices and they have the benefit of a vast stock of original parts. Good Luck.

Doug Young
Yet to post message
Username: doug_young

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 03 December, 2004 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A qualifier to this advice John. Please see my post under SU Carbs, which details problems with sand cast H8s I bought through Midel for my XK140.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.170
Posted on Friday, 03 December, 2004 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Doug. Your post reminded me that I had forgotten to revert to you re your air.cond. question. Contact Classic Air; Tampa, FL.USA. Let them know what you are attempting and I am sure they will be able to assist you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: