1958 Silver Cloud 1 switch box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 1958 Silver Cloud 1 switch box « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2012 - 09:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,

I am in the middle of a ground up restoration of a 1958 Silver Cloud 1.

I have refurbished all the instruments but now want to have the face of the switch box refaced and the white lettering re-engraved and painted white.

The problem I have encountered is that I can't work out how to separate the metal casing from the bakelite backplate. I have removed all the screws which seem to hold the two halves together but cannot get them apart. I also need to remove the chrome lighting switch knob and am also at a loss as to how to remove it. It looks as though the switch box halves can't be separated before the light switch knob is removed. I am having to disassemble the switch box as the engravers can't fit it on their machine until the switch knob is removed. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks in anticipation and kind regards,

Chris Browne

Chris Browne
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2012 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to draw a line under this thread, I have now managed to separate the two halves without damage. I was able to suspend the complete assembly on wires from three of the terminals on the rear and then gentle tap on the two metal lugs alternately with a wooden drift. Very slowly, the two halves began to separate and came apart with no damage to the delicate bakelite backplate.Thanks to David Hughes for your private message.

Kind regards,

Chris

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2012 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris - would be nice if you could put up a photo of the switch box when you have completed it's refurbishment.

Chris Browne
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2012 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Geoff,

I'll gladly do that but am not expecting to get it back until mid-January.

Kind regards,

Chris

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, 30 March, 2013 - 22:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,

Just to finish off this thread, I went to collect the switchbox from the engravers last week expecting it to have been repainted black and the letters filled with white. I should be so lucky as all the man had done was to mill the switchbox face flat and re-engrave the lettering (very accurately I should say) but he had left it bare metal. When I queried this he said that he was unable to source the correct paint. I was not best pleased as I was hoping the part would have been completely restored and ready for refitting. After several failed attempts at home, I managed to get a really good satin black finish and was then able to fill the engravings using a small rubber squeegee and some brilliant white emulsion paint. I finished it off with a spray coat of satin coat varnish and am very pleased with the end result. I spent the whole of yesterday carefully reconnecting all the wires to the switchbox and fitting it back in the dash panel. All(!) that remains to be done now is to reconnect the dash panel to the cars wiring loom.
Kind regards,
Chris

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2013 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent result!

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, 03 April, 2013 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Superb. The one consolation regards the incomplete work when you collected the switchbox is, as you mentioned, the engraving is to a very high quality.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: