Cloud Apparent Gear Issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud Apparent Gear Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne Wardman
Experienced User
Username: wayne_wardman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Cloud 1 is intermittently failing to have the starter motor come to life.

I have removed and checked the ignition electrics and all seems well there, so I have concluded that the gearbox 'thinks' it is not in Neutral at startup.

If starting is repeatedly attempted she eventually kicks over and all seems well. But, then she becomes difficult again.

The manual does not seem to cover this issue.

Thank you for any advice

Wayne

John Budden
Experienced User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 16:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wyne,
Have you checked the neutrl/prk switch- the contcts wear or could be dirty?
John B

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you hold the key over and move the gearstick upwards, does that help?

Can you hear the starter solenoid clicking?

Your car may have a starter solenoid with the press button on. If you press that , does it crank?

Moving from neutral and back again, can you hear a faint click from the inhibit switch? It's situated in the engine bay where the column goes through the bulkhead. They can go out of adjustment.

Wayne Wardman
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 17 November, 2011 - 19:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John and Paul

My apologies for the delay.

The lady functioned perfectly and then had a fuel pump failure so I have installed a new pump from Midel in Sydney - they were very helpful and Mr J Vawser suggested different plugs - Viz NGK B6ES. So the experiment continues.

I shall report back on the above suggestions

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2011 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New plugs to make the starter motor turn . . . I'm missed that one! :-)

Wayne Wardman
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2012 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Cure has been found!

After various approaches and affirming that the kind advice given did not solve the issue, I looked further at the 'starter motor relay' and voila, on www.swammelstein.nl/fault.htm is a Fault Diagnosis page that includes reference to my car's problem and cites the Manual - Section M.

Sure enough, there is a reference to two 'micro-switches' (which they are not, by the modern definition) that sit on top of the steering column just below the fuse box.

One allows the starter motor to engage and the other activates the reversing light.

Mine looked OK but clearly was out of position by a very small amount. Undoing the nearby nuts and making the small lever lean slightly leftward has cured the problem.

It is one of those that looks so obvious in retrospect but, the process, of course, is a humbling one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: