Bentley S1 alternator conversion Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Bentley S1 alternator conversion « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2011 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone fitted a conventional alternator to a Bentley S1 ( eg Lucas ACR) rather than the expensive Dynalite dynamo lookalike. The bracket details would be useful.
Thanks Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2011 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

we usually get one off a Shadow complete with Shadow mounting brackets cut to suit. Unfortunately I don't do enough to keep a pattern.

I have considered using the small light weight competition alternators.

I'd like to see one of the conversion units in the flesh, they do look really nice :-)

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2011 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I once fell foul of the generator's lack of charging in peak hour traffic.

Bought a deep cycle 700+ CCA battery and haven't looked back. Don't think I will ever need to convert to an alternator.

John Budden
Experienced User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2011 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I converted SXA143 to an alternator when in
Bangkok many years ago (needed airconditioning there to survive)- see "White Cloud in the City of Angels" and "White Cloud leads the PAPA" in the London and Derby) but under normal conditions the Special Equipment Generator is adequate for the no frills early Clouds- my favourites)

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2011 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I have a 90Ah battery but am considering an alternator as the dynamo is getting noisy. I drive the car mostly at night with uprated headlights and a rarely used electric fan (set at 85deg cut in) to commute to and from my holiday flat (200 miles return). Will remove the dynamo during the winter and review the possibilities.I have a new Lucas ACR with a wide pulley available.
Mark

Jeff Jones
Experienced User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, 09 December, 2011 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

After a few occasions of having to jump start my Cloud 1 (once with a bride in the back, once in the foyer of Wellington's poshest hotel!), I've decided to upgrade to the Dynalite product.

On each occasion, the battery discharged after running both the ventilation fans on high speed while driving in city traffic (hot days, trying to keep the non airconditioned car coolish without wrecking the brides hairdo with the windows down!!!). Result= not enough charge left to crank her over after stopping.

I've also decided to fit booster fan, as there's been a few occasions where the temperature gauge has been just about to the top of the gauge (past the white zone!). I think my blood pressure and heart rate was equally as high! The fan would definately draw too many amps for the poor old dynamo.

So, a Kenlowe booster fan and Dynalite are winging their way from the UK. Expensive, but worth it for peace of mind, I reckon .

I'll let you know how they go...

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have completed the conversion of my S1 to a Lucas ACR alternator, after the regulator on the dynamo finally failed and the dynamo was overdue for an overhaul. If anyone else is contemplating this , I have a note of spacer and support rod details and pulley type.Also the ignition warning light has to be changed to a 12 volt 2.2 watt with a 120 ohm 2 watt resistor in parallel with it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2015 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Lucas ACR alternator is not a good choice of alternator. Try Motorola or Hitachi. Fecking loads in the bone yard. Also get the wiring to the scrap alternator.

Change ammeter for voltmeter if possible. Box up and safely store the old parts.

Connect main fat feed wire ( brown) direct to either battery or starter solenoid and other end to alternator. Run earth strap from alternator body to engine. (Black)
Thinner brown wire to generator warning lamp. The other side of the warning lamp goes to ignition on live. White /brown tracer. The same as the dynamo set up

The voltmeter one side goes to earth (black) the other side of the voltmeter goes to ignition on live. (Green)

Ammeters and alternators. The regulator in an alternator will maintain the voltage at the battery terminals to 14.4v in an ideal situation. Which is engine cruising and electrical loads within the abilities of the alternator. In this situation the regulator nicely balances the load and the ammeter should show about zero.

A voltmeter will show the voltage in the elecrical system when the engine is running ideally 14.4v. When not running with ignition on, about 12v.

Usually on idle volts will be 14v and cruising 14.4.

Once alternator reaches a certain rpm running the alternator faster will not increase output.

The dynamo and regulator are easy to rebuild. And with a big battery should cope when fortnightly charging of 7.5 amps for 24 hours is added.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2015 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,we have done several alternator conversions on classic cars and always use the ACR as they are fairly robust, will work on a 1.8 to 2 to one crank pulley ratio( important when using "b" section belts as pulley size is restricted ). an advantage is they are easily obtainable, cheap new (£50 ) and the output is more than adequate to replace the dynamo.
With regard to the dynamo/ regulator; the voltage control bobbin had failed and the dynamo required new bearings and a comm. skim. See FS for the price of recon units !! Originality is not an issue ( the old parts are stored) as I use the car regularly.
Mark

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.181.212.4
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,
A rather neat conversion. You mentioned the pulley type, (as I have been removing the dynamo pulley to match the profile, of the crank pulley), so what is the source of the replacement and the type, please?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For ease of fitting and looks, you can't beat the alternators that are housed in an old dynamo.

They function exactly the same as as other modern dynamos, but are in a Lucas casing.

Looking at the engine it is nearly impossible to tell it's an alternator and not the genuine article.

The downside is the cost. At about £500 or £600 I think.

Other firms are doing cheap ones of the smaller dynamos, I guess it won't be long before the C47 and C48 follow?

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris, the pulley was supplied by Transpower Drives ( www.transpower.co.uk ). Part no.s are
P-1DB100
E-1610-M15 15mm bush.
The bush needs to have a rebate 13mm deep and 34mm diameter machined into it in order to accommodate the retaining nut on the ACR alternator shaft.
The arrangement of pulley and locking bush is neat, and a variety of different size and width pulleys and bushes are available. However the pulley above is the smallest diameter for the B section belt.
I have sketches of the spacers etc with dimensions machined to if they are of use. Incidentally Transpower is related to Apple Rochester Gears who you may have come across for vintage gear cutting.
Mark

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.182.237.236
Posted on Friday, 24 July, 2015 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Many thanks, I am still learning.
Chris.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: