Su fuel pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Su fuel pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Francois Charlier
Experienced User
Username: vonplum

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2011 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

good afternoon,
I have two questions.
If one of the two pumps Su breaks down, the engine can working normally or not.
And I have A SU pump on my Austin Healey bj8.it look like a rolls can I change only one pump on my Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 3?
with kinds regard
francois

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2011 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Francois,I think not not all SU pumps are not interchangerable it has got to do with pressure fuel is pushed through the system.On my T1 Bentley I have installed an American Electronic fuel pump which works very well,now because I live in Australia I bought my pump through Robert Chapman Automotive Melbourne he is English and has worked on Rolls Royce and Bentley for 30 years or more just google him and seek his advice.
Regards Barry

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2011 - 11:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Francois
The question is - if one pump stops will the other keep working? As the original pumps fitted to the "Cloud" are two individual pumps joined in one housing the answer is yes it will keep working.
The diagram shown of the pumps on this website under the Silver Cloud Workshop Manual (chapter K number 4) is an excellent exploded view and a clear explanation of the repair. Parts for these pumps are available here in Australia from Midel their website is www.sumidel.com
I'm not clear on if your BJ8 pump is suitable.
Trust that helps
Regards
David

Francois Charlier
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2011 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
thank you for yours answers.
then how you know if one of both pumps su is not working .because only one pump is enough for the pressure.
My su pump on my Rolls Royce is working good but it is good to know more on my car.
Regards francois

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2011 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fit separate switches for each pump. You can then test each pump at any time. Rolls used to do this on the Derby (A, B or both) but dropped it later for some reason.

Laurie

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2011 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Francois,
Another method is to clamp the flexible hose between the fuel pumps and the fuel tank and then run the engine until it stops(no fuel). Switch off the ignition. Disconnect both positive wires from the fuel pumps(one to each). Switch on the ignition and then, doing one pump at a time, touch the positive lead to its terminal on the pump.If the pumps click, they are working, if one does not, that is the one that has failed. Don't forget to take the clamp off the fuel line when you have done this test or you will never get the car started!
Kind regards,
Chris

Francois Charlier
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2011 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ok I will do that
thank you very much for your help.
Regards francois

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: