25/30 Service Items Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 25/30 Service Items « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Prolific User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, 13 April, 2010 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all

I have ventured into pre-war ownership with the recent acquisition of a 1936 25/30 Barker Limousine. Please may I ask for some assistance in compiling a list of suitable lubricants and service items? I am too young to know what they are talking about in the owner’s manual. My initial thoughts are that I can pretty much use the same oils and plugs I use in my Bentley Mk VI. Would this be true?

Spark plugs – There is no mention in the book as to what plugs I should use. Any ideas? Would Champion N12YC be OK?

Engine oil – The book says Price’s Motorine, Wakefield’s Castrol, Vacuum Mobiloil or Shell Aeroshell. I am fresh out of any of these mentioned, so would my usual choice of 20w50 be OK? (I am not a fan of full synthetics in old cars)

Rear axle – The book says Wakefield’s Hi-Press oil or Withmore’s “O”. May I use EP 90 gear oil like other normal people?

Hydraulic shock dampers – The book says Wakefield’s Castrol F or Vacuum Mobiloil Arctic. I used 20w motorcycle fork oil in my Mk VI. Is that OK?

Any other advice gladly accepted. I have never owned a pre-war car before.

Kind regards

KC

Francois Charlier
Experienced User
Username: vonplum

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, 03 August, 2011 - 15:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello,
you can find this on this website of RROCA

http://rroc.org.au/wiki/images/1/1d/25-30HP_Condensed_Handbook_XVII_Chap2.pdf
Francois Charlier

phil bowen
Yet to post message
Username: rrxs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 02 March, 2012 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

engine oil castrol classic sae 30 unless a full flow oil filter kit has been fitted then i reccomend a modern 20/50 oil

gearbox same as above sae 30

rear axle 80/90 gear oil

chassis lube engine oil

steering box penrite steering box lube

water pump penrite water pump grease

antifreeze normal blue glykethrgine at 50/50 mix with water

all linkages i use an oil squirter can with 20/50

happy servicing phil

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, 01 April, 2012 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil,

I have to contradict some of your recommendations.

Gearbox - runs much better with 20w/50 mineral oil.

Rear axle MUST be EP80/90 as it is a hypoid gear set. Gear oil will wreck the differential.

Chassis one-shot system should be EP80/90. See R-R Service Bulletin CB63.

KC Saayman
Prolific User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, 22 September, 2012 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for all the answers. Much appreciated!

Following all the negative publicity about modern coolants I have recently discovered Evans waterless coolant and have already installed it in my Bentley S1. So far I am very pleased with the results, and sleep better at night knowing that I don’t have to worry about corrosion or it attacking silicon and lead.

I will definitely be installing it in the 25/30 especially as the car is used less that my other classics. Have any of you tried it yet?

Kind regards

KC

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: