Broken lamp - Lens needed please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Broken lamp - Lens needed please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, 21 January, 2010 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks, thought it would not be long before I broke something!
I accidentally knocked over my spare wheel door and broke a reverse lamp lens Grrrr!
Does anybody have one they would like to sell please? If you send me your details and the amount you want that would be great.
Thanking you in advance Mark

rear lamp lens required

(Message edited by bentleybloke on 21 January 2010)

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've got some hen's teeth for sale, if that helps?

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brilliant... how much for the hens teeth? I could swap them for a light lens!

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think you have hit upon a whizzy wheeze!
If I sell you twice as many hen's teeth than you need, you exchange same for two lenses and I will buy the second one from you at twice your buying price because I need one as well. I will pay you in more hen's teeth.
This will lead you to acquiring the one lens you need for nothing as long as you keep repeating the exercise (but sell future lenses to somebody other than me - I do not hold an infinite stock of hen's teeth, you know).
I am sure this will work as Mr Madoff did a similar thing for decades with various different commodities.

Can anyone think of a reason why this idea won't fly?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stephe, I need some hens teeth . . .

would trade for my rocking horse s**t!

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What... Paul you have rocking Horse s**t, sorry Stephe the deals off. I need more s**t to go with the pile of bull I have already!

On a serious note, this lamp lens. Was it used on other vehicles? I did notice some Daimler's and the odd Morris have similar number plate surrounds ages ago but for the life of me I cant remember now. Can anyone suggest another vehicle model that might have similar lenses. Alternatively I could replace the complete spare wheel boot cover with the round lens type. These are available at Introcar. I know its a bit extreme.
My last option is to cut a temp lens out of frosted perspex for both sides so they match. I could then mount the unbroken lens on a mahogany plinth and display it in my cabinet next to my rocking horse poo!

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isn't it (the lens, not the other commodities) a standard Ace fitting along with the registration box and lettering?
Finding replacements is definitely in the realms of rocking horse teeth.

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There were several different configurations of the number plate box before the G series. The original one on B420EY was damaged when a bus ran into it and I replaced it with the later one shown in the picture. The reversing lights bulbs are each 21 watt and the light fittings let the light out properly. I kept the old one for quite a time since it was not seriouly damaged but I recently gave it away to a fellow enthusiast who could use it. The lens was different from the one that Mark is after so it would not have been of any use to him. These glasses do come up on eBay from time to time.

Regards

Laurie Number plate box on B420EY

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice picture Laurie. I have looked on Ebay and found a lamp lens, its red but there are white ones available too. Here is the text from the advert and some of the vehicles the D glass fits, just for future reference for other members.
Thanks Mark

GENUINE LUCAS NEW OLD STOCK, ST51 D SHAPED GLASS STOP TAIL LIGHT LENS, PART NO 524823, RARE ITEM HAS FITTED TO MANY 40s AND 50s CARS AND VANS. SERIES 1 LAND ROVERs, MGs, ROVERs, HUMBERs, WOLSELEYs, RILEYs, AUSTINs, MORRISs, TROJAN VANs, AND MANY MORE.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320475590809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

David Fairbrother
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.208.210.241
Posted on Sunday, 14 February, 2010 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

You may find the lens you are looking for at Gregorys Auto parts, item No. 00773. The one they show is red glass and it looks to be the right shape but they may be able to supply a clear glass.
http://gregorysautoparts.co.uk./catalogue.php?t=0&c=319

Another alternative is to cast your own in plastic. There are kits available to enable you to make up a silicone mould and then cast tail light lenses (or whatever) in clear or many other colours. According to their Promos it looks fairly easy and the finished product is very good.

I am also searching for a lens for one of the tail lights on my P11 Continental project but mine are a bit different to yours in that the fluted glass face returns down the side and includes the number plate light and the fixing screw does not go through the lens.

I have tried to include a photo of it however the site will not allow me to post anything bigger than 1 kilobyte so maybe I'll figure it out some other time.

David

David - you have to register as a member before you can post images [max size is 640 x 480 pixels]. Registration is free and also allows you to post direct without waiting for Moderator approval. Regards David G.

(Message approved by david_gore)

(Message edited by david_gore on 15 February 2010)

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 26 May, 2010 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for your input folks. In the end I found two replacement lenses in plastic but red in colour. I will keep searching Ebay for a white one but the panic is off now.
Will update the forum with some pictures of the car when its eventually finished! Cheers Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: