Fuel Inlet leakage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Fuel Inlet leakage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Glanville
Experienced User
Username: mark_glanville

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 14 January, 2010 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have fuel leakage occurring when refuelling the tank of a steel standard mk6 salon. It would appear to be leaking from the flexable rubber joiner between the metal inlet tube and the petrol tank itself.
I know its not the tank, because there is no leaking if fuel is added by a long tube bypassing the rubber flexible joint.
The problem I have is getting to it to inspect!!! There doesnt appear to be any room under the car to inspect the rubber joint. Although having said that, is this because I have jacked up the car and placed carstands under the chassis to remove the wheel? I have also removed the timber floor inside the boot to inspect, however this hasnt helped much to see where the problem maybe.
Has anyone repaired this at some stage, as it doesnt seem to a common problem.

Thanks
MG

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Thursday, 14 January, 2010 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, mine is an R-Type, but shows up the same in the diagrammes. There is no need to remove any panels, undersheets, floorboards or the like.

I have had my tank out several times. It's very straightforward. To undo the flexible section, simply use a 1 metre long screwdriver to loosen the Jubilee Clip, accessing it from underneath the vehicle.

Then, loosen the lassoo straps around the tank, disconnect the electrics and exit pipe joint, and lower the tank.

At that stage, you may stop, replace the flexible, squeeze it over the filler and tank inlet tubes, lift and secure the tank, and tighten it all up.

More likely is that someone has missed fitting the flexible properly sometime. It's probably not uncommon to do that as it is hard to see all that's going on up there while fitting the tank. You may be lucky enough to loosen the JC, reposition the flexible and retighten it, either with or without lowering the tank.

Don't forget that there is a drain hose for the filler compartment. If you overfill, then the excess drains out underneath the vehicle.

RHT.

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 14 January, 2010 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

I think you would be very lucky indeed if the rubber joint merely needed repositioning and tightening of the jubilee clips. I replaced mine on B420EY in 2001 after 401335 miles and the old one was in poor shape. It was done on a fine summer day shortly after my 86th birthday and the job was done from the top as I did not fancy getting underneath the car. Access involves removing the wooden floor (easy) and the fume trap (not so easy if the screws are rusted but not all that difficult). Cut the jubilee clip bands if the screw tighteners are not accessible. Undo the fuel vent pipe which is joined to the filler tube upper part. The filler tube is then free to move up a bit to give clearance to fit the replacement rubber sleeve. Then put it all back. Some of the rusted 2BA screws holding the fume seal were replaced by some brass clips which I made up.

Regards

Laurie

Mark Glanville
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys, it was a bugger of a job to remove it. I had to remove the floor and work under the car to free the JC's, these were double clamped on each side, for what reason I have no idea. The next problem im faced with is finding a suitable petrol delivery rubber with a 63mm ID. The old rubber was corrugated/convoluted and had a thin wall. This thin walled rubber allowed it to slide over the inlet pipe of the tank and fit against the floor of the car with ease. All the new rubber delivery pipes are straight and have a 8mm wall, which is way to thick. The straight pipe is not a concern its more the thickness of the wall. Presently awaiting info on a 'Dayco' pipe.

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

It might be worth while to see if the correct part is still available somewhere. The Part No is RF8176. I was lucky when I did mine as I had one in stock in the workshop. It was bought from Jack Barclay in 1968 for GBP 0.15 and my stock records were good enough to enable me to find it in 2001!. It was a plain straight piece of thin walled tube with no corrugations.

I just cut the Jubilee Clips which were only single clips in my case. Just one each end is quite enough

Regards

Laurie

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Mine on B14BH was also leaking and I sourced hose from Blackwoods.
Dunlop Diamond D.202 HTRT HI-TEMP EPDM Hose 63mm N.B.
Hope that helps
Carl

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

It is not exactly a heavy duty application so you will probably be lucky. However, EPDM is quite the wrong material, being incompatible with petrol and oil. Surely they have a plain Nitrile version.

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/o.pdf

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting Richard, thank you.
It was sold to me as the correct hose for the purpose. It has been on the car for about ten years and I used it on an SII as well(not as easy as the Mk VI). Maybe I should give it a closer inspection.
Carl

Mark Glanville
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2010 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys...didnt think of Blackwoods but will try for a Nitrile rubber. These things are sent to try us!!!

Mark Glanville
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 14 March, 2010 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Apologies for not reporting back after I solved the problem. I sourced the rubber fuel delivery pipe through Mackay Rubber, part SHF63, which I ordered through Burson Auto parts (who initially told me they couldnt source such a product). The pipe has a 63mm id and is manufactured from nitrile. It can only by purchased in a 1000mm length of which only approx 150mm is needed for the job, anyway job now complete. Thanks to all who responded.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: