Sill/door picture required please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Sill/door picture required please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, 19 December, 2009 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I hope someone can help please. I am working through my restoration of B72DA and have had to remove the outer sills as the previous owner had bodged up the previous replacement and cut the old doors to fit his poor workmanship. I now have new doors and don't fancy trimming the bottom of them so I am moving the sill back to its correct position. My problem is the rear section of the sill just under the rear door flare is corroded/missing. Can someone please take a picture similar to mine so I can see what the correct shape is meant to be on the rear sill.
Many thanks Mark What should go here?

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2010 - 01:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi sorry to pester, can anyone please help with a photo? I have welded the sill back on and made a basic end cap but cant move on until I see what the original sill looked like. Was hard at work all over Christmas (did stop for Christmas dinner though!).
I need to get this car in paint ASAP.
Thanking you in advance, cheers Mark

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.25.209.154
Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2010 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

I have a photo of a 1946 MkVI 'body in white' if it will help.If you contact me by e-mail through the www.kda132.com web site I will forward a copy.

I have tried, without success, to upload a very small size copy here .

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 08:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Couple of old photos. Hope it's what you're looking for.

Repair sections are available :-) , but not very cheap :-(

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, 07 January, 2010 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

THANK YOU PAUL AND NORMAN!!! I really appreciate you getting back to me, the picture saved the day. I have styled something very similar to Paul's image. The only slight difference being a small lip following down from the door skin. It looks quite good and will give me a natural line to paint to. I know most of the Mk VIs have a rubber stone guard here but I find they look a bit industrial.
Will get some pictures uploaded when complete. Thanks again, this site is brilliant! Mark

(Message edited by bentleybloke on 07 January 2010)

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2010 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a quick update... here is the wheelarch.
It is just the basic shape, the fine sanding and primer is yet to be applied. Also below is a picture of the nearside since the outer sill and doors have been fitted. I am slowly working around the car and currently repairing the rear lower boot/spare wheel section. I have included a shot of the very poor metal repairs made by the previous owner. These only came to light after bead blasting but immediately explained why the bodywork was swelling and rusting in places. The water was just seeping into the filler and paint from the rear through the un welded gaps!
Cheers Mark

repaired sill section

near side repairs

bodged welded repairs by previous owner

(Message edited by bentleybloke on 09 January 2010)

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2010 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

I like what you have done tapering the swage, looks neat. I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but my standard bodied MK6 1951 has the swage from the dooor all the way to the bottom of the sill, not tapered to a point.

Cheers

Marty

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2010 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Marty, thanks for that. I was not sure what should have been there, the swage seemed the natural way to go. Im sure once it has a bit of gloss on it things will look better.
Cheers Mark

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2010 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, wander on over here and take the crease out of my door.

Excellent work. It's enjoyable seeing images with information.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: