Post Number: 110
|Posted on Saturday, 19 December, 2009 - 08:02 am: |
Hi, I hope someone can help please. I am working through my restoration of B72DA and have had to remove the outer sills as the previous owner had bodged up the previous replacement and cut the old doors to fit his poor workmanship. I now have new doors and don't fancy trimming the bottom of them so I am moving the sill back to its correct position. My problem is the rear section of the sill just under the rear door flare is corroded/missing. Can someone please take a picture similar to mine so I can see what the correct shape is meant to be on the rear sill.
Many thanks Mark
Post Number: 111
|Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2010 - 01:21 am: |
Hi sorry to pester, can anyone please help with a photo? I have welded the sill back on and made a basic end cap but cant move on until I see what the original sill looked like. Was hard at work all over Christmas (did stop for Christmas dinner though!).
I need to get this car in paint ASAP.
Thanking you in advance, cheers Mark
Posted From: 18.104.22.168
|Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2010 - 11:57 pm: |
I have a photo of a 1946 MkVI 'body in white' if it will help.If you contact me by e-mail through the www.kda132.com web site I will forward a copy.
I have tried, without success, to upload a very small size copy here .
(Message approved by david_gore)
Post Number: 514
|Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 08:51 am: |
Couple of old photos. Hope it's what you're looking for.
Repair sections are available , but not very cheap
Post Number: 113
|Posted on Thursday, 07 January, 2010 - 12:49 pm: |
THANK YOU PAUL AND NORMAN!!! I really appreciate you getting back to me, the picture saved the day. I have styled something very similar to Paul's image. The only slight difference being a small lip following down from the door skin. It looks quite good and will give me a natural line to paint to. I know most of the Mk VIs have a rubber stone guard here but I find they look a bit industrial.
Will get some pictures uploaded when complete. Thanks again, this site is brilliant! Mark
(Message edited by bentleybloke on 07 January 2010)
Post Number: 114
|Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2010 - 09:49 am: |
Just a quick update... here is the wheelarch.
It is just the basic shape, the fine sanding and primer is yet to be applied. Also below is a picture of the nearside since the outer sill and doors have been fitted. I am slowly working around the car and currently repairing the rear lower boot/spare wheel section. I have included a shot of the very poor metal repairs made by the previous owner. These only came to light after bead blasting but immediately explained why the bodywork was swelling and rusting in places. The water was just seeping into the filler and paint from the rear through the un welded gaps!
(Message edited by bentleybloke on 09 January 2010)
Post Number: 142
|Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2010 - 07:53 pm: |
I like what you have done tapering the swage, looks neat. I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but my standard bodied MK6 1951 has the swage from the dooor all the way to the bottom of the sill, not tapered to a point.
Post Number: 115
|Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2010 - 10:08 pm: |
Hi Marty, thanks for that. I was not sure what should have been there, the swage seemed the natural way to go. Im sure once it has a bit of gloss on it things will look better.
Post Number: 116
|Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2010 - 07:33 pm: |
Mark, wander on over here and take the crease out of my door.
Excellent work. It's enjoyable seeing images with information.