Mk VI Windscreen removal help please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Windscreen removal help please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Experienced User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 04 October, 2009 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,
I am just about to strip my car down to a bare shell ready for bead blasting for bodywork repairs and a repaint. I need to remove the front windscreen but have not yet tried. I cant see whats the best way to remove it as the chrome trim seems pretty permanent. I have not removed any of the interior wood yet but would like some advice on whats the process involved in removing the glass out without breaking it and keeping the trim and rubber intact. Your help would be much appreciated, thank you. Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Sunday, 04 October, 2009 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Once you have removed the wooden windscreen surround it will be very clear.

Just take care with the surround when easing it out from the top of the screen opening, putting no strain between the base and the hoop around the screen. I guess that goes without saying.

There are a few dozen screws holding the screen sandwiched between the rear ring - hidden for now by the wood - and the chromed outer one that you see. Once the retainer is unscrewed and eased out, the screen and seal will come backwards easily. The chromed finisher will then pop out.

A new windscreen glass itself is very cheap, and now may be the ideal time to fit one. Being flat, an automotive glass outfit (O’Brien’s in Australia for example) will cut one to pattern on the spot. Best store the original one in the attic as the pattern for any future windscreens, as a copy of a copy of a copy is never as good as a copy. Take care, as the rear screen is curved and very expensive.

The sealing strip is a standard item bought from a rubbers merchant or swimming pool outfit by the metre. Around the chromed ring after refinishing and refitting the screen, the small gap between the chromed finisher and the body should be detailed. These days black Silicone is far better than the builders’ putty used in 1950.

Mark Anson
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2009 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Richard for your clear instructions. I wanted to find out what I was letting myself in for before I started removal. The screws you mentioned would have caught me out. I usually start with the craft knife and screwdriver approach! Will let you know how I get on.
Many thanks Mark

Mark Anson
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 17 October, 2009 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE: I got the screen out with no problems. I found I need a new screen seal which I have just ordered from Introcar in London. Thanks for the info Richard it really helped.
Cheers Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: