One shot system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » One shot system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Chapman
Experienced User
Username: shadow

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 15 January, 2004 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked your one shot system lately?

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.201
Posted on Thursday, 02 September, 2004 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After MUCH agonising I have decided (for the moment anyway!) to retain the "Bijur" as opposed to changing to grease nipples, despite my unequivocal acknowledgement of some of the benefits of the latter. My "R" type (B10TN) has what is almost a "factory" like air cond.unit, fitted (by prev.owner) and this tends to obstruct ankle/foot approach to the underdash foot pump. I suppose I could remove the pedal "arm" and form a slight "offset" in it, but I thought (at the risk of being castigated) that perhaps the "Bijur" could be "driven" by a small(concealed) elec.pump, rather like I recall seeing deployed in a "B60" engine "pre-lube" main engine oil system. This might have been featured in the RROC(USA) "Flying Lady" magazine?. Not wishing to appear lazy here (fear I am becoming more so though!) nor wanting to redesign the wheel or create complexity for the sake of. Just a thought to perhaps invite some helpful input as to the "concept" itself. Thanks in anticipation.

(Message approved by david_gore)

KC Saayman
Experienced User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2004 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the correct oil for the one-shot system

Regards
KC

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2004 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Answers to both. For KC. 90 viscosity is what is used in these systems. The handbook will tell you engine oil but this was difficult to retain and the thicker oil 'clings' to the bits better.

For JD. As well as your redesigned pedal you could consider a prehensile foot. I have developed 5 jointed fingers for some of the jobs I have taken on with these cars and am quite sure I can scratch my uvula via a nostril!!!

That aside I clearly remember the Luvax Bijur system used on late prewar and early postwar cars (Rover was one) which employed a vacuum operated pump that was mounted on top of the oil reservoir. It appeared to be identical with the vacuum washer pumps used on your R type. Their performance would undoubtedly need watching.

For everyone. When I had my Dawn I used a rig to test the one shot system. I acquired an expired gas cylinder from the local barbecue shop. The valve was removed and a tap with a snorkel that went to the bottom of the vessel was screwed into the top. Provision was made to pump in compressed air via a regulator which was on the compresser. I originally made this up to test the lubrication system on overhauled engines. It is fascinating to connect the line into the engine fill the vessel with engine oil and then turn the crankshaft and watch where oil comes from and how much. You can also easily check the pressure relief valve. Anyway I hooked the thing up to the main Bijur line and bypassed the reservoir. The ensuing mess was quite edifying but most importantly it showed up the starving points.

Ashley James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.255.0.5
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2004 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

EP90 was recommended by R-R after consultation with Fleet companies operating cars over large mileages. This was in '62.

4 pumps in quick succession every 200 miles to get rid of air and get to most distant point which is rear right hand shackle pin.

Most do not pump enough because of the mess it causes at the front end but you need to if you do not want to have to replace the rear shackle pins.

I've had no problem with excessive oil on clutch despite pumping far more than this.

I stress that this is an R-R recomendation not mine.

RoyTilley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 222.152.94.173
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2004 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An alternative 'automatic' system was used by Daimler post-war on Consorts, Conquests etc and consisted of an expansion chamber in the oil line, fitted close to the exhaust down-pipe. It had one-way valves top and bottom and therefore whenever the engine heated up the expansion chamber i.e. on startup, a small amount of oil was squirted through the system. When it cooled down, on shutdown, it sucked oil from the reservoir into the expansion chamber, ready for the next power up. A fine system in theory but it failed if the reservoir was allowed to empty when air would enter the expansion chamber and lubrication would cease, the front suspension would wear and life became generally miserable.
I've never owned one so would someone please tell me if the foot-operated Bijur is also sensitive to low oil levels or does the pump overcome ingested air after the reservoir is refilled?

And David, re your earlier signal, I have emailed your admin people for a new password but have yet to hear from them.

Regards
Roy Tilley, NZRR&BC

Martin different name
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.30.117.65
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2004 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

When the oil level gets low, the foot operated pump gets very light, ie, pumping air. You fill up the oil again and pump until the pedal gets hard again, simple!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: