Will R type doors fit a Mk6 standard ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Will R type doors fit a Mk6 standard steel? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2009 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks, just wondering if someone can help? I own a 1948 Mk 6 standard steel and need some replacement doors. I have found a couple of doors but they are for an R type. Can you tell me if these will fit my car? the owner of the doors has no idea but they look very similar to mine looking at the photos. I wont be able to take them back if they are wrong. Cheers Mark

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2009 - 00:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I may be corrected on this, but am reasonably certain they will fit. the body changes from Mk VI to R-Type were abaft the rear doors.

Mernon
LSJF72

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2009 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mernon, thanks for your reply. Sorry I am still a little confused. Does your reply mean the back doors don't fit the Mk6? Can someone please confirm both front and rear doors of an R type will fit the body-shell of a Mk6 standard steel saloon (1948)? Many thanks Mark

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2009 - 00:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark -

After checking many photos and books, the rear doors appear not to have changed. The rear wings, from the door shut line back, and boot, were elongated, but not the door portion that forms the front of the wing.

Rolls-Royce were chronically short of money postwar and wouldn't have undergone the considerable expense of having Pressed Steel retool the door stamping machinery. Though my memory bank is long in the tooth, I do recall reading this somewhere in the dim past.

A fair amount of "tweaking" was done to the bodies after arrival at Crewe, so it's possible I suppose, that from car to car there might be quite minor variations in fit.

Mernon

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.98.139.26
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2009 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mernon

A belief that many people hold, but unfortunately incorrect. Changes to the body of the R Type from the MKVI were aft of the B pillar.Hence the rear doors are very different. Have a look closely at the rear door section which forms the leading edge of the rear wings (fenders)

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, 13 July, 2009 - 13:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Norman,

My apologies for the delayed approval of your post - have been away for the last two weeks.

Regards David

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Norman - I stand corrected! You'll notice that I DID leave myself wiggle-room in my first post, since I learned many years ago that "All Knowing" is not my middle name!

Mernon

Mark Anson
Experienced User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 04 October, 2009 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for your input. I went for the brand new door option!!! Yes brand new, I could not believe it. I phoned a company called Introcar in London looking for second hand doors and they told me they had two new doors from the Bentley factory. I snapped them up and also bought two good second hand doors when I went to collect the new ones. They do have one new R/N/S or one F/O/S door not sure which if you are looking for a new door yourself. Cheers Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: