Spark Plug Lead Caps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Spark Plug Lead Caps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2008 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

B319LH has "new" plug caps on her solid core leads. They are a plastic cylinder with a brass crimp screw, which holds the lead, and clamped to this is the part that joins onto the plug. Very weak joint, the crimped part has come away from the brass. What do others use? I would not want to source these "repo" caps, and repco don't sell caps for solid core leads.

Suggestions (in Oz)?

Cheers

Marty

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2008 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Marty,

Try a classic motorcycle shop - or motorcycle shop.

NGK do some as well but they do say NGK on them. I guess it might be possible to file and polish the logo off if it offends you.

Martin Cutler
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip, I picked up a set of NGK in black, as the originals say Champion, I don't have a problem with NGK, in fact I use their plugs. Apparently you can still get the original style champion ones from the UK, around $22 each. I paid $7 each for the NGK ones.

Cheers

Marty

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, 13 September, 2009 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a follow up on this topic. The new NGK caps I put on B319LH are 5K ohms, the resistance of the Champion plug caps on B256MD is marked at 12K ohms. I tested them with my multi meter and they do come up at around 11,000 ohms. Questions....

How does the "resistance" actually work in the cap?

What would be the difference between running 12K and 5K ohms?

What would happen if the leads where set up the way earlier cars are with the leads soldered to tabs that are screwed onto the top of the plug, ie, no resistance at all?

Thanks guys

Marty

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, 13 September, 2009 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your original rotor arm probably had a resistance built into it.

Too much resistance may possibly cause arcing / burning in the cap.

Usually you use resistor plugs and resistor cable, or resistor plug caps & non Resistor plugs, or resistor rotor arm and non resistor plugs.

I think R-R now supply a non resistor rotor arm and an in-line resistor for the king lead.

A little resistance is grand - but not to much :-)

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul, I am running NGK B5ES plugs, no "R" in the plug type, so I assume no resistor. Doesn't seem to be any arching or burning in the cap. The rotor button is the original type.

Cheers

Marty

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 421
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin, You should be good with that.

Cheers.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: