Air Conditioning Silver Dawn/MKV1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Air Conditioning Silver Dawn/MKV1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John A. Harriman.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.220.43.142
Posted on Tuesday, 18 December, 2007 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Previous experience from indiviuals who have fitted Air to this model. I have heard that in America the condensers can be fitted under the guards. I only expect to use Air during our long trips thru Australia as I am aware that it is too much a load on the cooling system for town use. Any technical information would be appreciated.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2007 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

gidday John,

If you are in Sydney, you are welcome to have a look at my Mk VI, B319LH, fitted with under dash unit. The main reason I bought it. It is AWESOME! Really cold, only run it in town, no problems, doesn't budge of 75 degrees, am really happy with it. Well designed and built, my local A/C guy checked it over, says it is very good quality components, and with the alternator and thermo fans, runs brilliantly. So good, I am considering a similar upgrade to B256MD. Cheers

Marty

John A Harriman
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.181.143.114
Posted on Wednesday, 26 December, 2007 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Marty
I live in Melbourne and use a friends computer. Not that I am a Luddite, as I am about to make the technological leap. Is there a means of contacting you for a chat as I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel. If the moderator deams it appropriate my phone number is (03)95986702

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Cutler
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 27 December, 2007 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

My mobile is 0407 147 234, but unless you are travelling to Sydney, is there any specific stuff you want me to take a photo of? I could email you any digital photo's you want. The previous owner had the work done in Perth.

Cheers

Marty

Martin Cutler
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 01 January, 2008 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

I just emailled a few photo's to Lex, but am interested to see if I can put a photo here, just for the challenge!

Cheers

Marty

under dash unit

Martin Cutler
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 01 January, 2008 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey now that's cool! You need to save the photo in email format, so it is a lot smaller. That's the CD player mounted under the A/C. You can still open the scuttle vent, and just get your foot on the one shot pedal.

Martin Cutler
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

I dropped into see John Newton, he has all his Dawns set up with A/C, a slimline unit under the dash, lot less bulky than mine. He also runs twin condensors, one under each guard. The Dawn is easier to set up than the MK VI, as there is more room under the bonnet, he has one set up with A/C compressor on the off side, and alternator on the near side, and one of the others I saw had A/C compressor and alternator both on the off side. Single carb means heaps more room.

The guy who did all the work for him was:

Auto Frost - Greg
02 9774 4556
1/9 Works Place
Milperra NSW

Cheers

Marty

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's time...would anyone have drawings/plans for an air conditioning set up for Mk VI? Or even better, components removed in pursuit of originality. I've promised it to myself for 20 years and I do persist in using them as daily drivers. I have some compact under dash units and condensers but would love to see a tried and tested bracket and modified fan pulley

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, 05 August, 2023 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm a potential owner so forgive my ignorance,

below is a pic of a 53 Dawn and 54 R type. That vent above the instrumentation if for ? Factory heater? I presume that is an option as I don’t see it on every pic I've looked at.

Could a small unit like this be under the dash and perhaps be ducted into that vent?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374827923090?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110013%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIMRXI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111452%26meid%3D19708dca774d4b8099029ecbf9642d8f%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D175623344866%26itm%3D374827923090%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DPromotedRVI%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A37482792309019708dca774d4b8099029ecbf9642d8f%7Cenc%3AAQAIAAAA8BFMeJ9vNoeV5R6diewUBS2SEUPBQf8Ab0B8dEIHSqB2deCc0oB5JDS%252Fx0pUzkCK8Z5D9Xc4U2cAa0GzpuhEw61jsvfHz4NLS4auLzvijMykb3etmu%252BISEbODBxc6lsLFj27wkopJTZmgf5jSb1a%252F6KuVyNlhf5NaaDgHWFF8%252FZdzQI1jvKXkL4256JQX%252BRpI1vAuxhMXv%252BUa1CGASBEJLWi%252FtSJLbDIrTtPNHCVYGd8BLda0unrCVkjQ900Vb8OfygH%252FeFQZNJipw1yZDePu%252B2Y1150pvChdJ54tX4UxZPQcQWi%252Bb%252BhP71rzUBU7gi8Lw%253D%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A4429486

Or could something be plumbed in the boot to come up from the rear sill, or behind the seat. This is a cracker for effectiveness, but a bit gordy. From a coach built body.

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 05 August, 2023 - 23:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fit AC in my Silver Wraith, which for this topic is the same as the cars addressed. I mounted the compressor on the left side, and it is driven by an extra sheave on the fan pulley. The force on the pulley balances that from the dynamo, and therefore does not increase the load on the water pump bearing.

I had a condenser made to fit in the space in front of the radiator. I could find nothing with appropriate dimensions. The fluid connections to that are top left inlet to align with the compressor high pressure outlet and bottom right to align with the receiver- dryer mounted in the right wheel space.

The evaporator is in the boot so as to not require eemoval of the original radio. I made ductwork similar to that shown in the previous post. In hindsight, that was a mistake. The rear seat area is cooled very very well, but the front seat cooling is inadequate.

Condensers mounted in the wheel space require stone guards and fans. The factory dynamo is not adequate to power that. It is marginal for powering the evaporator fans.

Bottom line, I do not recommend this project because it will involve a number of compromises, and the chassis was not designed for it. The true enthusiast puts towels on the seats, ties a rag around his head, and drinks lots of water.

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 06 August, 2023 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lol Bill, it was reading so well. Custom resonates when trying to fit air to a vehicle never made for it. You have done well.

We must have all been true enthusiast at some point,

I recall towels….but never got to rags on heads.

My first car had quarter glasses and to be honest they worked pretty well on a hot day and the car had motion. Bit so so on the rain.

My second car had foot vents and all they seemed to do was stir up the dust from the floor.

I wonder with propulsion, air movement generally is towards the back from possible ingress through small leaks from the front, Would that negate the rear ducting directing cool air forward, or perhaps not a strong enough fan to push forward?

I found this alternator upgrade that looks like the OE dynamo, so power issues may become a thing of the past.

http://https://www.powerlite-units.com/about-dynalites.html

But wonder if a custom condensor that fits the radiator can be plumbed to an electric dryer/compressor in the boot, then ducted from the evaporator - fan also in the boot to around the car. Perhaps those controls can be wired to the dash simply as on or off.

http://https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Auto-air-condition-12V-24V-Electric_1968615760.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.2f756f17jEkIRv

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, 06 August, 2023 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One would think that if that huge generator could put out enough amperage to run a tube radio, the head lights and a fog lamp, that it would easily take the load of an air conditioning system, specifically 2 fans to blow the cold air around.
The compressor is run off the engine, so that's not a problem.

The lions share being the radio, but that's out of the picture now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: