Lux Flakes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Lux Flakes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2007 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I had to try it. I put a cup of Lux flakes in the radiator of B256MD, expecting great goop fulls of muck in the top hose filter.....nothing. Clean as a whistle. This is after running the car at a fast idle for 1/2 an hour. I would have expected a little bit of muck, but nothing. Drained, flushed, and refilled with Penrite Classic Car Coolant. The car didn't even get hot during the 1/2 hour it was stationary. Maybe it is clean???

Dissapointed.

Marty

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2007 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah Marty you are a romantic. Lux flakes are for washing film stars' faces - I remember the commercials! But cooling systems especially on the very old cars do build up a greasy scum on the inner bits which can't possibly help with their job. The cleaner to use I have found is dishwasher as distinct from dishwashing powder. If you use the latter you will have a demonstration of foaming akin to none. If you don't believe me stick some dishwashing detergent in your dishwasher as see what happens. Keep a bucket handy

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 15 December, 2007 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill, it's been pretty mild in Sydney so far this summer, I have only had to use the thermo fan a few times. No foam with the lux flakes, but the inside of the rad and the filter housing feel very clean! Need to get some use out of this batch of coolant first, might try that for next years flush.

Marty

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: