Mk VI Rear Axle Oil recommendation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Rear Axle Oil recommendation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-231-198.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2006 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I have done around 16,000 miles now on my rebuilt diff, and as I don't know what sort of oil is in there,any recommendations as to what I should put in it? The Penrite website recommends a mild EP oil, are there any bronze bushes in there? I would have thought an 85w140 hypoid diff oil would be good, or would a lighter 80w90 be better?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Marty

(Message approved by david_gore)

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-231-198.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Tuesday, 22 August, 2006 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Answered my own question. Yes, bronze bushes, so no harsh Extreme Pressure additives. Mild EP 85w90 hypoid gear oil is the way to go.

Cheers

Marty

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-225-8.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2006 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gidday all,

Did the oil change on the diff, 900 ml precisely. The old stuff coming out was nice and clean, so was very happy. About 800 ml came out, so I had lost 100ml due to slight drip from sump plug. I put a small amount of silicon paste on the threads of the sump plug when I put it back in. I used a "Tom Thumb" pump from STM, very useful, although it took a lot of pumping to get the 900ml into the diff. Pump only cost around $20 AUS, well worth it.

With the diff being done, that means all fluids have been changed on the car in the last month, so looking forward to a trouble free summer.

Cheers

Marty

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: