Dawn - Mark VI - R Type aerial removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Dawn - Mark VI - R Type aerial removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2023 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anyone have instruction on how to access the aerial centre roof line above the windshield.

The current aerial is broken and needs replacing.

appreciated

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2023 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where's it broken exactly ?
If the antenna is just limp, the set screw holding the spring in place under tension may simply be loose.

If you want to remove the entire aerial, you have to peel back the head-liner starting from the wind-shield, and you will find a steam bent piece of plywood there.
There will be a bunch of screws holding that in place.
Remove all the screws and the plywood will come out.
You will see the underside of the aerial and a big nut holding it in place.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 559
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2023 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot something, the wood around the windshield has to be removed to peel the felt back, but I have to know if it's a short boot Dawn (Mark VI) or a long boot Dawn (R-Type) ?

I can help you if it's a short boot.

The two cars may be similar in disassembly procedure, but I know the dash on the long boot is different.

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2023 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a long boot Dawn, and believe broken. Got hooked up on something while reversing.

What you describe won't be an issue for him, just upsetting all that to change the aerial is a path least preferred.

I'll wait further instruction if you have any.

Appreciate the reply though Jeff, I had a bit of a laugh and think its beautiful really.

You often see someone posting on another's behalf adding advice to solve someones problem, not the other way around but guess its the same. This guy I am posting for is more than capable with mechanicals, electrical savvy, awesome welder, panel beater, spray painter, machinist, just not computers. Try and explain the ol computer is designed to be the hardest thing to stuff up and the cheapest to fix just falls on deaf ears. Even when the fix is almost always be turn it off - wait - turn on again. Where in comparison to stuffing something on these cars, or misplacing your tools is no different to misplacing something on the computer.....just goes nowhere. Pretty funny I reckon.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2023 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To remove front surround _ PURPLE ARROW shows where a panel is hidden from view, mine has oval head screws with flush washers holding it in place.
The removal of this will allow the undoing of the passenger grab handle _ there may be other things under there that are holding it in place, he will have to look.
Be careful where the joints are RED ARROWS, they are weak and may break, the whole dash can be quite tight where the lower part is hard up against the body.

I believe the 2 pannels above the doors may have to come off as well BLACK ARROWS, they're just held in with finishing nails, a putty knife works well here to carefully pry the pannel away _ the nails usually stay behind.
When it's time to mount it back in, the felt is carefully separated with a sharp object like a darning needle where it's tacked back in again.
Removal of these pannels will allow the felt be pulled back.

Note the screws that hold the steamed plywood in place, they are just machine screws that go into the body, not sheet metal screws.
Be sure and clean the glue really well out of the slot and grind a screw driver to fit the head exactly, if not snug.
The screws may be rusted in there.
Be careful not to twist them off.

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2023 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: