Water Pump Adapter Gasket - Odd Size Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Water Pump Adapter Gasket - Odd Size « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2023 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Note the water pump adapter, and the small notch arrowed in red that matches the air bleed hole in the block.

Note all the gasket material around the hole; that matches the block, but there is no material on the water pump adapter to make use of the gasket.

What water pump adapter fits that gasket, and if the hole is totally surrounded by the gasket, how is the air going to escape ?
The adapter that matches that gasket must look pretty unusual.

Or is one supposed to simply cut the extra bit of the gasket away to fit the adapter ?

Here's the gasket with out the extra material from Flying Spares in a gasket set.

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2023 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting Jeff but if you glance at the schedule of spare parts Plate E2 part number 36 ( there are two parts numbered 36 but the one which is visible ie the joint between the pump and the adapter which should be numbered 37 ) has the air hole in the gasket similar to the one that you have shown. It can only be assumed that the part correctly numbered 36 has the same form but I don’t see the logic in the design. The R type gaskets don’t appear to have the spigots in them and I wonder if that is what is on offer from FS as a generic part?

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2023 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did check the R-Type's adapter for water pump, and the air hole has been eliminated.
I'm also going to assume that it's no longer present in the block on the 4.5 and 4.9 litre engines.

Then again, all the water pump adapter plates all have the 2 holes drilled in them according to the pictures of the reconditioned pumps, so the air hole in the block is probably still there on all engines.
I think it's just been designed out of the adapter when the cooling tube was changed, hence the need for the notch in the gasket is gone.

It's also possible that the air hole in the 4.5 and 4.9 litre blocks has simply been moved upwards and not so close to the edge of the adapter casting.

All this still does not explain the logic of the gasket design.

I could ask Flying Spares, but from experience, there's a good chance they wouldn't know.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2023 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are two part numbers, EB4219 which shows up at Introcar and Flying Spares as the gasket in the second photo.
The other part number, RE5772, does not come up at all on either of them.
I have no idea what RE5772 is or what it looks like.

NormanGeeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.74.184
Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2023 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
I am working blind as I do not know either the chassis number or model, but you asked “how is the air going to escape ?”
The answer is that it does not need to….
You are showing a coolant drain hole not an air hole…..your image is upside down. The straight section of the housing and gasket should be at the top, flip your gasket over as it will be fitted to the engine, and you will see it is a drain hole.
These holes were produced in the days when coolant was drained before regular antifreeze use and it was necessary to clear the water pump area of water.
However this may help….
An EB 4219 joint between the cylinder block and coolant pump adapter was used until the middle of the R Type SP series.
A RE 16323 joint superseded the EB 4219 from the middle of the R Type SP series.
Eventually the RE 16323 was renumbered RH 12792 and was replaced on 4.9 ltr engines that had Air Conditioning by an UE 2948 gasket.
The RE 5772 was used right through the EPW 6 cylinder chassis range and was fitted between the water pump and adaptor block.
I would suggest to you that the gasket “tang” that concerns you was produced in a full circular fashion to prevent it being ripped in transit / handling.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: