17.25 Inch Fan From 17.75 Inch Fan Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 17.25 Inch Fan From 17.75 Inch Fan « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2023 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone ever tried cutting down the RE6060 fan to 17.25 ?
I can't find the original 17.25 fan, RE19078...

See this, on page 35.

I already have the small pulley with the smaller fan of 16.25 inches, but would like more air movement for sitting in stop and go traffic.

Page 29.

https://kda132.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Cylinder-Blocks.pdf

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2023 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes it works. Make a template to cut all the same and check blades are in line when spinning. good luck finding a RE6060.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2023 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

electric fan would be better, they run at full speed when the car is stationary.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2023 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Philip, lots on ebay that last time I checked and I know that Flying Spares and Introcar would source one, the RE6060 is super common.

Michael, that's more work then I want to do right now, but I think it would fit between the rad and its bracing _ you have me thinking now.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.39.245.0
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2023 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy and fit a Kenlowe thermostatically controlled fan.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2023 - 16:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Philip,
Found an RE6060 on eBay for around 60 bucks US with 22.00$ shipping, pretty good deal considering that Flying Spares wants 202.00$ US for one.
There's a glut of them out there at RE6060, they're not rare and why would they fail in the first place to warrant such a high price _ the answer is, they don't fail.
I know someone that tightened the belt so much on his early Shadow, that the water pump shaft broke and the rad and bonnet were destroyed _ not the fault of the fan though.

The RE6060 is 17.5 inches, that means that over-all only 1/8 of an inch needs to come off of each blade.
Before doing that, I'm going to see if there is any detectable vibration and excessive fan noise.
One eighth of an inch is pretty minor.

However looking at this article again indicates that the RE6060 is 17.75 inches _ I'll measure it again later.

https://kda132.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Cylinder-Blocks.pdf

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2023 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The RE6060 that I have is indeed 17.75 inches after a carful measure.
On the link above on page 35 it talks about bending the spider of the fan between two blocks of wood to get the fan true.
I find this confusing as the steel in the spider is so heavy as to what would happen to the fan to effect that steel to throw it out of true ?

The RE6060 fan that I have now is not true horizontally, in other words the blades are not totally parallel to the surface I'm working on, because some of the aluminum fins are slightly bent here and there, some on the top edge and others on the bottom, I can even see it with my bare eyes. (note that the water pump housing and the pump itself are on the bench to set things up)
If I were to start bending the spider to correct this, it would just make things worse because the aluminum blades are out them selves.
This all assumes that I've been reading the article correctly _ why else would one start bending the spider, and how on earth would one get things with in 1 thou. guessing in on how much to bend in a bench vise ?

I can make a jig and true up the fins on both edges, but in reality, they're so very little out of true now, I can't see it being an issue.
It's just a fan, trying to get the blades with in 1 thou. seems way over the top.

I can see getting all the blade edges correct as possible, but then why would one start to bend the spider to correct any discrepancies there ?

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2023 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

jeff ring me at night aust time phil 0418266631

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2023 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice talking with you Phil, I didn't thank you last night, so there's that.

My used fan is in pretty good condition that the one Norman had in his article apparently, his "spider" was bent a 1/4 inch out.
How did that happen I wonder with such a heavy piece of steel _ I can see the aluminum fins being a bit out here and there just from them being banged into while the engine is being worked on, specifically the water pump and/or rad removal.

Rather then a vice, a hydraulic press was used with two old pistons of the correct size to hold the spider to bend it if necessary.
A pipe wrench was used _ still, a tricky job to get things just right.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: