1953 Bentley R Type Fuel Pump Points Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 1953 Bentley R Type Fuel Pump Points « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Marriott
New User
Username: 53rtype

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2023 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The great thing about old cars and bikes is that if you listen to them, they often will tell you what's wrong. I've developed a fine ear for subtle changes in sounds.

My 53 was getting cranky, and it occurred to us "where's the tick tick of the fuel pump?" It had slowly become less frequent.

Check power to the pump, no issues there. Let's pull the points... you can actually do that without removing the pump.

They looked like they had been through a house fire. A quick clean and re-install, and it's TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK... Really happy pump, happy car.

When was the last time you checked your fuel pump points? They corrode over time, simple fix.

Video

Before and after...
Dirty points

Clean points

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 15 August, 2023 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice, I bet that has been responsible for quite a few stoppages.

Easy fix though

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, 15 August, 2023 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Joe, if the points are really bad, they can be filed so much that the top removable portion can't make contact past the edge of the pedestal.
For anyone reading this.

There have been many heated discussions made over on the Jag forum about the unreliability of the SU pumps, but I've never had a problem with them.
Once rebuilt properly, they can and do go for decades.

I've always believed that if they fail after servicing, someone did not know what they were doing.

Some replace the old capacitor with a diode, Varistor, or some such thing to keep the points from arcing _ it can be made non-polarity sensitive with the correct part.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: