1953 Bentley R Type Starter Problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 1953 Bentley R Type Starter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Marriott
New User
Username: 53rtype

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2023 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was being difficult to start (weak battery), and I hit the starter button at the exact same time the engine kicked to life for an instant. D'oh!

Starter went THUNK. Ouch. Then whhhiiiirrrrr. That's not good.

Pulled the Bendix, tested it per shop manual. No problem there.

Pulled the whole starter and bench checked it. Stripped gears in the drive unit. Simple fix because I had a spare starter, so I could just switch out the gears.

Video

Bad news, if this happens again, or to you, the compound idler gears (DB987) are no longer available. So the only solution is to buy a complete starter from a shrinking supply.

Stripped drive gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2023 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ouch!
Thanks for the video, it's great to be able to actually see how it is supposed to work.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: